U.S. Olympic Trials (Read 1540 times)

Why is it sideways?

Okay, in the interview I was talking about, Ritz said that the plan was to work together, trade 800s, until 5k, when it was every man for himself.  The splits here reflect that.

I see what you are saying about Ritz -- he definitely needed to get it done in that 4th mile on his own, and I give him mad props for stepping up in a big situation. Let's hope he stays healthy so that he, Rupp, and Farah can all work together... that would be pretty sweet!

Feeling the growl again

How does a national caliber runner allow her shoes to come untied?  I have never known a double-knotted shoelace to come untied, ever. 

You know, I've been running and double-knotting shoes for over 20 years now.  2 years ago, I'd agree with you.  At that time, however, I ran a 5K in a pair of flats that I must have worn in 20+ races over ~5 years.  They were QUADRUPLE-KNOTTED as the laces were over-long.  With half a mile to go, one of them untied.  I had to be conservative and just run for the win through the line as I was afraid of losing the shoe.  So, it can happen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The one time my shoe laces came undone during a run was while "running" 12-13 min miles towards the end of a marathon.  I could not tie them securely as they kept getting untied (3-4 times).  I am sure I triple/quadruple knotted them the first time they came undone. 

On a side note that convinced me of the existence of monkeys on the course which can get at your feet as well as aerial attacks.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You could always go to lock laces. They probably wouldn't come untied.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Okay, in the interview I was talking about, Ritz said that the plan was to work together, trade 800s, until 5k, when it was every man for himself.  The splits here reflect that.

Recognize that I did not watch the race knowing what the plan was.  I casually observed the race while doing other things and reported an observation regardless of what the plan was.  According to those splits Ritz led 10 of 13 laps before Rupp took off, then Rupp was not helping him the last 4 either.  That's 14 of the last 17 laps of a 25 lap race that Rupp was not really helping him (plus a few more before that), according to the splits.  I don't think it's hard to see where my impression came from.

Rupp didn't do anything wrong.  He wouldn't have been doing anything wrong if he'd sat behind Ritz for 24 laps and then kicked to victory.  It's racing.  I just thought the whole "helping" thing was a bit overdone...Ritz worked plenty of the race out front.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

There was no way you could have known. I was just trying to clarify that Rupp was helping him over the first half of the race. Ritz also said that a) he wanted to lead the 4th mile and b) Rupp helped him after the 4th mile. I just heard this in the post-race interview and wanted to pass it along.

Why is it sideways?

In other news: Ashton Eaton broke the world record, running 4:14 in the 1500 to do it. Cool tidbit: he does his distance training with Oregon track star Jordan Hasay.

Why is it sideways?

Also, it appears that Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh tied for 3rd -- the last qualifying spot in the 100m. Interesting article here. Tarmoh was declared 3rd right after the race, but afterwards, it was called a dead heat.

There may be a one on one run off for the position or some interpret the rule book as saying they have to "draw lots" for the final spot.

Pretty good coverage here.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

In other news: Ashton Eaton broke the world record, running 4:14 in the 1500 to do it. Cool tidbit: he does his distance training with Oregon track star Jordan Hasay.

I think he broke 3 world marks in the individual events as well. I was impressed with how smart he ran that 1500. The comraderie from the other two runners was cool too. Teams are awesome and that smelled like a team.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I was also impressed with the second heat of the mens 800. The two winners of that heat were 2 and 3 to last at the quarter and just ran their race. I do not have that faith in my ability to let leaders go in races. Boo me, Yay smart racers.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Here's what awaits our Olympic hopefuls in London:

But they were acting like the team is all set by these results. If the Olympic A-standard window has already closed, then were the results foreordained before the halfway mark? I mean, before halfway, it was pretty obvious no one was hitting the standard last night -- and there were only 4 people with the standard, and Shalane Flanagan had said she wasn't going -- so would the outcome be the same even if some or all of the women stopped running entirely? Was there any uncertainty at all?  Would Janet Bawcom (7th place) go even if she didn't finish the race at all?

It would have been smart for Rogers to seek out a couple like-minded competitors and work out a pace-sharing strategy.  They knew their only chance at making the team included hitting the A-standard in that race -- there was nothing to risk but a blow-up.

I can see Flanagan's interest in trying to add "2012 Trials Champion" to the resume, but it seemed kinda lame to me for her to run in the final when she'd already decided she would NOT be on the 10k team.  Staying in deprived another runner of a spot -- i.e., some valuable big-stage development experience for a younger runner.  If you don't want the team berth, get out of the event.  (Although I wonder if she can keep herself on that list until close to the Olympics, then decide if she wants the 10k after all based on fitness and whatnot.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Flanagan running the 10k deprived someone of what? Coming in last at the trials? Not seeing that argument. She has every right to try and win a national championship and it may very well have been the perfect tune up for the Oly marathon, in a year when she has not raced much. And her being in the race made it more competitive race. Personally I like seeing our best runners run the events they qualified for versus seeing some college girl get the opportunity to get lapped twice.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Looks like USATF has let Webb in the 5000 with a 13:49, bypassing a dozen or so provisional qualifiers who ran in the 13:30s.

Nike speaks USATF listens I guess

Runners run