Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

Turbolegs

I find it somewhat sad how the media can so dramatically sway public opinion. It appears as if the general consensus now id to condemn and admonish the man. The public has turned on him like a pack of wolves whereas before he was generally hailed as a role model. Do I think he used "performance enhancing" drugs? I do...But all professional athletes do. It's part of professional sports. It's the "elephant in the room" that we all know about, but we just don't discuss. Hell, anabolics are prevalent now even in high school sports.

So they strip him of his titles based upon "accusations" from fellow athletes....and these athletes were "clean"...puhleeeze...spare me. This is a witch hunt IMHO and the public is buying into it hook, line, and sinker.

I sure as hell hope that thats not representative of the majority of professional athletes. You cant blame the public for reacting the way they did - there was and still is a success story in Lance beating cancer and making a life for himself however it has lost much of its shine in the way he went about making that life happen. At the bare minimum, he gives hope to those afflicted with the terrible disease that you cant only just beat the disease but actually "come out on top in life." I am one of those who prefer to look at the positive side of things that he was assumed to stand for - the actual facts of the case can be handled by Travis and USADA and handle him as a druggie but it would be a tragic waste if the good things that did come out of this disappeared.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Better I Leave

I stand by what I said. I know of swimmers using Winstrol, Primobolan, or Anavar to "cut up" and get lean while maintaining strength. Almost every MMA fighter here locally is using Testosterone Enanthate/Propionate as a base in conjunction with some other drug for size/strength (Sustanon, Deca, Tren)...Just a couple of examples.

xor

I find it somewhat sad how the media can so dramatically sway public opinion. It appears as if the general consensus now id to condemn and admonish the man. The public has turned on him like a pack of wolves whereas before he was generally hailed as a role model. Do I think he used "performance enhancing" drugs? I do...But all professional athletes do. It's part of professional sports. It's the "elephant in the room" that we all know about, but we just don't discuss. Hell, anabolics are prevalent now even in high school sports.

So they strip him of his titles based upon "accusations" from fellow athletes....and these athletes were "clean"...puhleeeze...spare me. This is a witch hunt IMHO and the public is buying into it hook, line, and sinker.

1. This is page 44.  At this point, the elephant has been discussed so much, he has developed a complex regarding people talking about him.

2. It is the American way to build up heroes, tear them down, and build them back up.  In five years, unless he continues weirdness (more on this in a sec) like Mel Gibson, he will be re-embraced as a comeback story.

3. Part of the dealio here is beyond the did-he-didn't-he, but the sociopathic way he has dealt with everyone, including the folks involved with this "witch hunt".  This, as they say, is highly significant wrt dynamics of the whole situation.

Anyway: Oprah.  Of course.  This kind of stuff could begin his 'relationship rehab' as a hero figure.  Or totally not.

He knows what "truth" is.  But it is his personal truth(s), which won't necessarily be factual and is almost certainly going to be a warped view of what others like us consider to be THE truth.

Why is it sideways?

So, the people who hold a different opinion than you were "swayed by the media" whereas your opinion is based on what?

Better I Leave

So, the people who hold a different opinion than you were "swayed by the media" whereas your opinion is based on what?

Observation. Just a few years ago Armstrong was hailed as the "quintessential" superman. He was plastered all over the news as a hero...the perfect athlete.

Today, he's a vilified, stripped of his titles, and cast out/banished from sports.

Again, I'm not disputing whether the guy used "enhancing" drugs (I believe he did), I'm just stating that public opinion of the man has most certainly been influenced by the media. I also know first hand that drugs are prevalent in sports all the way down to high school. And how do I know that? Twenty years ago I used to smuggle anabolics across the border for athletes. Smile

Why is it sideways?

Observation. Just a few years ago Armstrong was hailed as the "quintessential" superman. He was plastered all over the news as a hero...the perfect athlete.

Today, he's a vilified, stripped of his titles, and cast out/banished from sports.

Again, I'm not disputing whether the guy used "enhancing" drugs (I believe he did), I'm just stating that public opinion of the man has most certainly been influenced by the media. I also know first hand that drugs are prevalent in sports all the way down to high school. And how do I know that? Twenty years ago I used to smuggle anabolics across the border for athletes. Smile

Opinions weren't swayed by the media per se. They were swayed by media reports on the evidence that he lied and cheated. Changing your mind in the light of new evidence is actually a positive quality.

The people who use drugs are the first to buy (and use) the excuse that everyone does it. If you are using PEDs, or supplying them to athletes, then you suck.

Changing your mind in the light of new evidence is actually a positive quality.

+1 Nice.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Better I Leave

1. This is page 44.  At this point, the elephant has been discussed so much, he has developed a complex regarding people talking about him.

2. It is the American way to build up heroes, tear them down, and build them back up.  In five years, unless he continues weirdness (more on this in a sec) like Mel Gibson, he will be re-embraced as a comeback story.

3. Part of the dealio here is beyond the did-he-didn't-he, but the sociopathic way he has dealt with everyone, including the folks involved with this "witch hunt".  This, as they say, is highly significant wrt dynamics of the whole situation.

Anyway: Oprah.  Of course.  This kind of stuff could begin his 'relationship rehab' as a hero figure.  Or totally not.

He knows what "truth" is.  But it is his personal truth(s), which won't necessarily be factual and is almost certainly going to be a warped view of what others like us consider to be THE truth.

I do find it interesting how certain athletes will deal with accusations that are levied toward them. If I recollect, Mark McGuire openly admitted to using steroids throughout his professional career whereas Barry Bonds denied the usage (I believe) and claimed that he thought the injections were "vitamin shots"...riiiiiight. Heh.

And of course Arnold made it very clear that he used steroids throughout his career.

Better I Leave

If you are using PEDs, or supplying them to athletes, then you suck.

I'm going to assume that it has now become personal for you and I forgive you. Would that also include physicians who practice sports medicine for teams/athletes that administer said drugs, or was that directed toward me? Either way, I used to and I do not any more, but the "you suck" does add a nice "flavor" to the discussion, does it not?

xor

Of those three, Lance has clearly been most like Bonds.... not only denying, but using the media (goes both ways, you see) to play up the witch hunt aspect.  To this point, he hasn't played the "I thought it was cucumber juice" card.  "It didn't happen; they are all just haters".  And it has been brewing a long time.

It also does not help that, like Bonds and Clemens, he is kind of a dick in other areas of his life and has managed to piss off competitors and teammates alike.  And relationships, etc etc etc.  Of course, he does have the magic trump card when it comes to public opinion.  Sigh.

Why is it sideways?

I'm going to assume that it has now become personal for you and I forgive you. Would that also include physicians who practice sports medicine for teams/athletes that administer said drugs, or was that directed toward me? Either way, I used to and I do not any more, but the "you suck" does add a nice "flavor" to the discussion, does it not?

?

You "made it personal" by bringing up your personal history. I have an opinion on that history -- distributing and using PEDs (especially to high school kids) sucks.

Better I Leave

Well, I'm not judging the guy. Do I believe him? No I don't. Do I think he should "come clean"? I do. Is he a "dick"? I don't know. But that's merely my opinion.

Slo

?

You "made it personal" by bringing up your personal history. I have an opinion on that history -- distributing and using PEDs (especially to high school kids) sucks.

+1

Cheaters Suck

Enablers Suck

Justifying it because everyone else is doing it sucks

xor

Oprah will get the truth out of him.  She's wily.

Better I Leave

?

Incorrect extrapolation my friend. I said I distributed to athletes, not high school kids. You're drawing an incorrect conclusion. The circle I ran in was amongst individuals of my own age bracket. Not once did I distribute to minors. I knew of them. The kid down the street drove across the border and got "popped" upon his return...Not terribly bright on his part as his car was full of 4 young bodybuilders (these boys were quite big) and then they claimed nothing at Customs? LOL! They tore that car apart and found quite a stash. Heh.