Hip Discomfort When "NOT" Running? (Read 157 times)

Better I Leave

WTF???

Here's the gig...My left hip has been giving me a little "grief" lately. It's not pain per se, more like a localized ache that I definitely notice when I'm walking...But here's the weird thing; Once I start running, it disappears! At least last night it did. I did a bit over 4 miles last night at my average pace just fine. I'm not sure whether I should rest or keep running as I have my Davis HM on the 3rd. Suggestions? Feedback? Experience(s) with anything like this? TIA

Best Present Ever

I have had this.  From time to time, my hip hurts so much I walk with a limp, yet I run without pain or gait changes.  It disappears.  It disappears faster if I get my husband to massage really hard in the joint.  Probably a tennis ball/roller would do the same thing.

Sometimes when your hip hurts it can be your back. I've had that be the case. More recently my hip was hurting due to a tight hamstring. Have you tried stretching daily?  Calf stretch, hamstring stretch, piriformis stretch, back stretch.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Better I Leave

Thanks gang. Yes I am stretching daily. I'm going out today and getting a foam roller and see if that helps. I'm just getting more concerned as my race day approaches, ya know?

Prince of Fatness

foam roller

Lacrosse ball is better for your hips and glutes.

Not at it at all. 

sugnim

I use one of these for sore hips.  It's awesome for calves, hams, glutes, and quads too.  You hold the handle, and the black part that comes off of the handle is flexible.  The wooden tines or the rubber ball are bounced off of your sore/tight muscle & for me it works better than the roller sick.

Better I Leave

Good stuff y'all. Muchas gracias. Ya know, I gotta tell you guys, you runners really have my respect and I mean that. I've lifted weights for a long time and have only recently begun to take my running seriously, right? Well, lifting may be strenuous, but running is TOUGH! I mean, after a HM...Damn! Your body "feels it"...ya know? I tell my lifting buddies that if they really want to put their bodies through a wringer, they should try running a HM! LOL! Most of them "poo poo" the idea of running...Oh well.

Thanks again for the suggestions folks. Smile

Wing

Joggaholic

I have soreness on my iliac crest, usually when I'm not running (probably due to delayed fatigue?) My massage therapist does a good job hitting some spots in the glutes which I'm not able to get to with foam rollers, the closest I can get is with a tennis ball (lean glute against tennis ball against the wall). Some places are just hard to massage...

Prince of Fatness

tennis ball

Lacrosse ball is better for your hips and glutes.

Not at it at all. 

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks MrFinn. I actually have to google what a lacrosse ball looks like (size-wise, I know it's a sphere!)

Prince of Fatness

Thanks MrFinn. I actually have to google what a lacrosse ball looks like (size-wise, I know it's a sphere!)

They are about the same size as a tennis ball, but they are hard rubber.  I found cheapo ones at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Not at it at all. 

You'll often find cheapo hard rubbers there.

Newbeerunner

Sounds a little like you may have a little arthritis in that hip.  Osteoarthritis causing aching esp with no use or overuse.  Motrin can become your best friend as long as you take it with food.

I had similar trouble with one of my hips. First I tried hip exercises I found online and had some improvement. Then I began doing Pilates classes twice a week to strengthen my core and hips (and, well, just about everything) and it's much better now. For me, at least, I don't think it was arthritis or I don't think I'd have this kind of improvement from exercise.