New Runner with Questions (Read 753 times)

dubczech

So....I've been running for about 3 or 4 weeks, and found this site last week. It's pretty sweet. But I have a couple questions. I have tried to get in a solid 30 minutes of running for the first few weeks. Not really concentrating on mileage or speed, just wanted to get out and run. I've been succesful in that, and have been averaging just about 3 miles in 30 minutes. Last Saturday I went for a "long" run for 4 miles and did it in 40 minutes, and it KILLED me. I was completely useless for the entire day. My fiancee, who has been supportive of my running, got a death look on her face (we're two weeks away from the wedding, and I was supposed to do a lot of things that I didn't do in favor of laying on the couch moaning.) So this week, after putting in 3 solid days of 3 miles ~30 minutes, I went for another "long run" of 5 miles yesterday. Mindful of what happened last week, I bough a cheapo watch and timed my splits making sure that I didn't run faster than a 12 minute mile at any given point. I was fine afterwards. So after this background, a few questions for the more experienced: 1) How should I increase my mileage per week? I've read than you shouldn't do more than 10% from the previous week. Are my "long" Saturday runs too much? I had a mental image of increasing that run by 1 mile every week or so, and then during the week, slowly increasing those. Is that the right way to do it? 2) How many rest days should I take a week? Right now, I'm running 4 and resting 3 (Friday, Sunday & Monday off). I find my runs on my third day to be REALLY difficult, but my long run to be much more enjoyable. Should I only be resting 2 days? 1 day?!? Is this a personal preference. Obviously I'm very concerned about burning out. I know if I go out too hard I won't enjoy it any more and lose interest, but at the same time, I want to enjoy each run. 3) Am I running too much for a beginner? I literally just started running, no walking, I'm in horrible shape. Am I pushing too hard too quickly? I feel like the runs have been just right, but is talking about increasing mileage now too soon? 4) Pre-Run meals. During the week, this isn't bad since I eat at work and have a good 5 hours to digest before running. Saturday is more difficult with running being fit in where it can, and meals being consumed much closer. Yesterday's Ham & Cheese grinder was not a good addition to my first 5 mile run. Any suggestions? 5) Drinking during running? Is this necessary? If I hydrate before and after, is that good enough? 6) Any other things that you wish you had known then that you know now about running? Thanks, and sorry for the length of the post. Alex

The young Mama Bear!

My first word of advice is to SLOW DOWN. I was very gung-ho myself when I started running about 5 weeks ago, and everyone told me to slow down. This is not a sprint competition... 1) I highly recommend a Learn to Run program. Couch to 5K is a good one, and I'm currently doing it. It gets you to jog a solid 30 minute in 9 weeks. It's all intervals until the 6th week...it might help you with your speed. If not, there are PLENTY of jogging programs out there...just do a little digging and see which one fits your lifestyle. Smile 2) Every other day is good for newbie runners. I wouldn't dare jog 4-5 days a week because I know my body would revolt as of now. 3-4 days a week of running is fine. 3) Lots of new runners (including myself) do/did too much to begin with. Everyone wants to jog forever at a time, but don't know how to properly work up to it. I'd say slow it down. Going from nothing to 4-milers right off the bat is asking for trouble, IMO. Work your way comfortable up to it. It's taken me 7 weeks to get up to 2+ miles a day, but guess what? I'm not injured, and I can do that length without wanting to die. Patience is a virtue here. 4) I try and squeeze my jog in between breakfast and lunch since it's the summer and I don't want to get caught out in high noon. I eat oatmeal and a hard boiled egg. Maybe some Jello. Give yourself 1 hour to digest. 5) If you don't feel the need, you don't need to keep a hydration system on you. Marathoners sometimes don't carry any camelbacks, belts or handhelds with them. Try and make sure water can be acquired on your route, be it placing bottles along it or passing a water fountain. Your body still needs hydration whether you like it or not. 6) I wish I had slowed the heck down in the beginning. I was chomping at the bit to do more and it ended up with me getting knee pains. This is not a race...just enjoy it.
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Dave

Alex, it sounds like you're off to a great start and that your focus is right where it should be. Don't worry about how fast you're running, just go at an easy "conversational" pace and build a base of fitness.
        Last Saturday I went for a "long" run for 4 miles and did it in 40 minutes, and it KILLED me. I was completely useless for the entire day. So this week, after putting in 3 solid days of 3 miles ~30 minutes, I went for another "long run" of 5 miles yesterday. Mindful of what happened last week, I bough a cheapo watch and timed my splits making sure that I didn't run faster than a 12 minute mile at any given point. I was fine afterwards.
        Sounds like you figured it out on your own. 5 slower miles is probably more value to your fitness at this point than 4 faster that gets you in hot water with your fiance.
        1) How should I increase my mileage per week? I've read than you shouldn't do more than 10% from the previous week. Are my "long" Saturday runs too much? I had a mental image of increasing that run by 1 mile every week or so, and then during the week, slowly increasing those. Is that the right way to do it?
        Exactly right but don't feel like it has to be a mile every single week. 10% is also a good rule of thumb for your total weekly mileage increase so based on your log, you may want to pick between increasing your mid-week and weekend runs (e.g. one week you add an extra 1/4 mile to your mid week runs, the next week you add 1 mile to your long run).
        2) How many rest days should I take a week? Right now, I'm running 4 and resting 3 (Friday, Sunday & Monday off). I find my runs on my third day to be REALLY difficult, but my long run to be much more enjoyable. Should I only be resting 2 days? 1 day?!? Is this a personal preference. Obviously I'm very concerned about burning out. I know if I go out too hard I won't enjoy it any more and lose interest, but at the same time, I want to enjoy each run.
        Running every other day will let you recover while you build fitness. Again, you've got to let your body be your guide. I'm running 5 days a week. Anything more than that and I seem to get injured. Others run every day or 6 days a week. If you burn out, you'll run 0 days a week so manage your effort.
        3) Am I running too much for a beginner? I literally just started running, no walking, I'm in horrible shape. Am I pushing too hard too quickly? I feel like the runs have been just right, but is talking about increasing mileage now too soon?
        No. If you're enjoying it and feel like its been right, it is right. Don't overcomplicate it.
        4) Pre-Run meals. During the week, this isn't bad since I eat at work and have a good 5 hours to digest before running. Saturday is more difficult with running being fit in where it can, and meals being consumed much closer. Yesterday's Ham & Cheese grinder was not a good addition to my first 5 mile run. Any suggestions?
        I don't like to run within 3 hours of my last meal. On longer efforts, I'll have a banana or a bagel and maybe some gatorade before heading out the door. Common sense should rule. I feel awful after a big fatty meal whether I run or not.
        5) Drinking during running? Is this necessary? If I hydrate before and after, is that good enough?
        Before and after is fine for up to about an hour effort. Beyond that, particularly in hot weather you might want to drink during. Congrats on starting a great hobby. Set some goals, sign up for a 5K and see how you do. Try and get your fiancee involved if she shows any interest.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

WOW--- I wish I had thought of all this stuff when I first started..........EXCELLENT MIND... I can tell you that every time I go for a new distance (miles or time) Im tired and worthless for the day...which explains why my long runs are always on Sunday - because that is the day I can get up and run and then lay around all day without my wife getting excited about it...... Other comment is that I think you should run a day and take off a day.....or run two and take one off...when first starting out the third or fourth day in a row are killers ....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Dave

Guess we can all take a little advice from Forrest: Forrest Gump: When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went. Elderly Southern Woman on Park Bench: And so, you just ran? Forrest Gump: Yeah.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

5) Drinking during running? Is this necessary? If I hydrate before and after, is that good enough?
              You might want to lay off the hard stuff until you have a few more miles under your belt, but a beer or two should be okay. Wait, were you talking about water?

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Giant Flaming Dork

There's some excellent advice already written... Just so you know, a "conversational pace" means that you should be able to carry on a conversation when you run. If you can't string 2 sentences together, you're going too fast. If you're running alone and are having a hard time figuring out what a conversational pace is, try singing. Okay, so it's sounds silly, but it worked for me.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Way too much, way too soon. You appear to be capable of running the distances you are running which either means you are young or already in better cardiovascular shape than you think (few new runners are). The problem is that your muscles and connective tissues aren't tough enough to stand up to that kind of schedule even if you have the endurance to allow it. Your long runs are around 30% of your total weekly mileage, which is good. It's just that your total weekly mileage is too high and likely your pace along with it. I would suggest cutting back to three running days to allow for more rest/recovery days and run at a so called "conversational" pace, or one at which you can carry on a conversation while running. Stick with the same mileage for a couple of weeks to allow your body time to get used to this running business and then start adding 10% a week. If you find yourself getting sore or fatigued, stop increasing your mileage until you feel ready to move on. As your runs start to get longer, try adding an addition running day if you can do so without wiping yourself out. Nutrition won't become a factor until your runs are in the 15-20 mile range and pre-run meals are totally unnecessary, likely hurting more than they will help. Water is also unnecessary until your runs start approaching an hour unless it is very hot. Check out the C25K program as already mentioned for a good idea of how much you should be running and how much you should be resting. Tom