Cross-training after microdiscectomy (Read 60 times)

Nevrgivup

I sit here over thinking what my future plans are going to be as a runner after I embarked on my second microdiscectomy for a L5-S1 herniated disc. I love running but know that when I'm good and healed I don't want to put any more stress on the spine and I'm contemplating getting into cycling and cross-training with swimming. I am not the best swimmer, but can get in the water and move around some enough to feel accomplished. In terms of cycling, I will need to pretty much learn just like I did with running. Did you find great satisfaction with going out for your daily ride as much as you did with running? I can see that happening for me. The thing I love about running is being outside. You can't recreate that in the gym. I can see myself looking forward to a longer ride on Sunday's just like the long run we usually do with running. I will not give up running completely, but will most likely keep the miles to 5K distance at most. How did you accept change and deal with the fact that your body could not tolerate the road anymore? I'm only 36 years old and this is my second surgery on my back. Sad

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hi Nevrgivup,

Good luck with your surgery!  Hope it goes great and you're rapidly back to doing all the things you love!

I don't really have anything to contribute, but I'm curious.  It strikes me that cycling is not kind to the spine, the way a person is hunched over and taking the road shock?  Am I wrong?  Not to discourage you from it, as long as you and your doc think it's fine.

Nevrgivup

Hi Nevrgivup,

Good luck with your surgery!  Hope it goes great and you're rapidly back to doing all the things you love!

I don't really have anything to contribute, but I'm curious.  It strikes me that cycling is not kind to the spine, the way a person is hunched over and taking the road shock?  Am I wrong?  Not to discourage you from it, as long as you and your doc think it's fine.

I think it has to do with the pounding your "body" actually takes vs. the bike. Less impact. Thank you! I am now on day 4 post-op and feeling way better than I did prior to surgery. Thanks for the well wishes. My doc said it would be ok to get back to running HM's, but I'm going to be a bit more conservative this time since it was my second surgery in the last 3 years.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ah, surgery is already done.  Enjoy your biking and your running!!