Largest Fun Run in Australia (Read 580 times)

tgoutzie

Hi everyone, I'm running a 14km race in Sydney, Australia called the City2Surf on the weekend that will have between 65,000-75,000 fellow runners. I'm just interested in finding out from other runners out there who have partcipated in funs runs with similar size entrants. It will be my first City2Surf and I hear the atmosphere is awesome. It takes months and months or organising and I can't wait to get there. Cheers/Theo
    Jeffrey

Hi, Good luck in your race! That is a big event. Nice course? I haven't run with that many people ... but I ran past 300,000 spectators (hard to believe I know). A couple of weeks ago I ran the Seattle Torchlight Run. The course followed the Seattle Seafair parade route and Organizers stated there were 300,000 people along a 2 mile section. It was crazy-dangerous because spectators were crossing the street in front of runners (myself included) and I can't swerve too well at 6:45 pace. Smile
        Wow, I've never done a race THAT big! I did MarineCorps Marathon -- 20Kish people, but that is nothing compared to 65-70K! Shocked Good luck!
        2009: BQ?

madness baby

I'm flying into Sydney that morning! Not for the race, though, unfortunately - for a conference. Maybe I'll get to see some of it, though. Wink That is a huge race. Good luck- I'm sure it will be a fun one! Smile
          deb
          Jeffrey

tgoutzie - so how did the C2S race go for you?
            tgoutzie

Hi Squidboy, The conditions we really hot for me and finished in around 65:42. I was more than happy to see the finish line and continued pouring water over my head for about 10 minutes or so after the race. Will definitely be back next year as now I have a PB to aim for. Saying all that, the atmosphere for the run was elecrtic and the spirits of most runners was a sight to behold. Cannot wait till 2008 !! Regards/Theo
              Jeffrey

Sorry to hear about the heat -- not fun during a race. I imagine there would be an issue in getting up to pace with 75,000 other runners. They must do a staggered start to prevent delays? What's your next run -- Sydney HM or M?

Imminent Catastrophe

I've done the Peachtree Road Race for three years now. A 10 km race with 55,000 runners, and it' s just a blast. A big party, with a training run included. Just enjoy the event!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

madness baby

Theo- I was thinking about you on race day. Sorry it got so hot. What a great winter season in NSW, huh? On my way from the airport I heard the report that the first runners were just coming in. It seems like everywhere we turned people were sightseeing with their numbers still on Wink I had the best run I've ever had that next morning. Sydney is such an beautiful city to run in!
                    deb