How many of you carbo load before a marathon? (Read 865 times)

I have a marathon on Sunday and just wondered how many folks actually carb load before a marathon. I've done it in the past and have tried a couple of different methods mentioned in an article by Matt Fitzgerald. I find it pretty hard to consume 7-12 g of carbs per body weight and just wondered if anyone else has good success or experience in doing this. Which method do you find to be the easiest to follow? The one day 12g per kg method or the carb depleting then carb loading over a whole week method? I started an attempt at carb depleting today but I may be a day late getting started on it since you are supposed to carb deplete for 3-4 days using that method. Also, there is a HUGE difference between 7g per kg and 12g per kg. How do you know which end to be on? Or is it more of a situation where you eat as many carbs as you can without getting sick? (Honestly, that's my usual method...just eat as many low fiber, high glycemic carbs as possible without getting too sick or full...LOL.) Oh, one more thing...I know it's probably not necessary to carb load if you get in a good amount of sports drinks or gu during the race, but I don't ever get enough because I get sick to my tummy when I take in that stuff while running.
      Or is it more of a situation where you eat as many carbs as you can without getting sick?
      Raises hand. I don't do anything special -- I just try to get in more carbs ... usually have pasta or a big baked potato a few nights the week of the race.
      2009: BQ?
      PWL

Has been

...before a marathon. Hell, I carbo-load before a 5k! Smile

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Imminent Catastrophe

You might be overthinking, it doesn't have to be that scientific. If you're like most of us, you usually eat carefully. The 2-3 days prior to a marathon are your time to indulge. Just enjoy yourself and eat lots of pastas, breads, fruits, and desserts. I don't do the depletion phase and don't know anyone who does, depletion is so 1970's! The whole point of carb loading is to start the race with a full tank of glycogen and "stuffing yourself" beyond a normal, satisfying meal will probably do more harm than good. More importantly, a light, 300-400 calorie meal, 2 1/2-3 hours before the race (no later than that), then 200 calories per hour during the race, from whatever source you prefer, will give you the optimum fueling. The bottom line is, even with a perfect nutritional strategy, if you go out too hard you will use up your energy stores around mile 18-22, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. That's what makes the marathon such a test.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You might be overthinking, it doesn't have to be that scientific.... depletion is so 1970's!
            LOL. I figured most folks didn't bother with the depletion phase. I've been limiting carbs today and it is sheer torture! I'll go with the majority here and just up my carb ratio a bit starting a couple of days before the race. Thanks everyone!

Imminent Catastrophe

Good luck and let us know how it went!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm with PWL. I carbo-load every day!
                  I'm with PWL. I carbo-load every day!
                  Same here.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My diet doesn't change much before a race. I pretty much follow the same patterns that I have been doing before my long runs with the exception that I don't always get to cook the meal myself if I am traveling.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Agreed. My diet doesn't change much, except with the addition of more carb-rich meals and some salty snacks (pretzels mostly). My issues have less to do with energy and more to do with cramping.
                        I just ry to eat more carbs in my regular meals the last few days before a long run, without stuiffing myself. I also try to stay away from dairy products for those same few days, since some beleive it can cause the stomach problems during intense exercise.
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                          Thanks everybody! I've opted to go with the majority and just eat my usual plus focus on adding a few more carbs when I can. This is MUCH easier for me!