Snow not funny! (Read 1080 times)

Dog-Love

Thats all the snow they have gotten so far up there? Man the iditerod is going to be hit or miss!!! Shocked I did notice Aleyeska and Blackcomb-Whistler were the two places getting massive amounts of snow around Christmas. I am very disappointed - I was looking for potential jobs up in Alaska for when (if?) I gradumate and there were none in my field. Alas. I guess I am stuck in the warm lower-48 for another 5 or so years.
    What do you do that you could not get a job in Alaska. We are not ALL dog mushers...or igloo block ice cutters...or seal clubbers...or...taxidermists...or walrus tusk carvers.... We actually have doctors and lawyers and professors and cake decorators and runners here too! And yes we got snow!
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      http://www.johnnyseastriverlodge.com/alaska.html This is a neat site that will give you some real facts about Alaska! Also has Iditarod info Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thats all the snow they have gotten so far up there? Man the iditerod is going to be hit or miss!!! Shocked
        Maybe they can come do it in my neighborhood. Seriously. Last night when I was driving my son home from school we saw 3 kids with a small sled and 2 dogs (Malamutes, I think). There was a kid on the sled, one driving, and one in front of the dogs sort of helping to lead them. They were on the bike path (which for now is more of a snowmobile path) preparing to cross the main road in our neighborhood. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What do you do that you could not get a job in Alaska. We are not ALL dog mushers...or igloo block ice cutters...or seal clubbers...or...taxidermists...or walrus tusk carvers.... We actually have doctors and lawyers and professors and cake decorators and runners here too! And yes we got snow!
          Kristen - that is hilarious! So who do you think was pulling more the kids or the dogs? Crabby - right now I am a student, so I dont do much. However, I hope to graduate from med school in a year and a half or so and look for a residency. I dont want to go into Family Practice which I recently learned is the only program in AK. After that I can come take care of all the seal clubbers and igloo builders and tour guides.

Dog-Love

Crabby - right now I am a student, so I dont do much. However, I hope to graduate from med school in a year and a half or so and look for a residency. I dont want to go into Family Practice which I recently learned is the only program in AK. After that I can come take care of all the seal clubbers and igloo builders and tour guides.
            I think we could use another orthopedic surgeon...lots of injuries from running, skiing, biking, you name it its an out doorsie group here that is continually injuring themselves in some way! Good luck with a residency and then come take care of those seal clubbers. They have shoulder problems
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

it's happening again....this was 3 days ago - we got another foot since last night - that brings our total close to 90" with a lot more winter ahead. I think it's time to switch to skate-ski or learn how to hibernate....

"This year's total already broke the record 77.3 inches that fell during the same period in 1993-94. If it keeps up, Anchorage is on pace to have the snowiest winter ever, surpassing the previous record of 132.8 inches in 1954-55."

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

BeeRunB

it's happening again....this was 3 days ago - we got another foot since last night - that brings our total close to 90" with a lot more winter ahead. I think it's time to switch to skate-ski or learn how to hibernate....

"This year's total already broke the record 77.3 inches that fell during the same period in 1993-94. If it keeps up, Anchorage is on pace to have the snowiest winter ever, surpassing the previous record of 132.8 inches in 1954-55."

Do not miss that stuff!

Cool

--Jimmy in Atlanta

I love snow and all, but that's ridiculous! 

...my school (teacher, not a student) cancelled today.  For a teacher inservice day.  Two inches of snow.

Two.

I'm glad to stay home, sure, but sometimes, I miss Michigan.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I would take some of that. We still have bare ground in spots from the weather being unseasonably warm and melting.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

It seems like just last month that more than a few of you were complaining that winter would never seem to get here. Oh. Wait. It was last month. Enjoy the snow! It's 13 degrees with a windchill approaching 0 here in Nashville (global warming strikes again), and I'd feel a lot better about my run this morning if I at least had some snow to crunch around in. And by the way, that huge pile 'o snow is pretty funny ... if it's not in your street. Wink Great picture. Does it come with a chair lift?

Are you serious?  Have you ever run in snow?

I would rather run when it is -20 and no snow than -5 with snow!  Running with snow on the ground is much much more difficult than running when its cold!  With the cold you just throw another layer on.  With snow you have now choice but to sludge through it.

Try doing a 20km long run in the snow.  I do it regularly and its not fun.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This is a pretty funny thread!  You Alaskans have a sense of humor!  You need it, don't you?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This was our Winter 2 years ago.  Our average is about 96" in an entire season, but we hit that by NYE, IIRC.  I think the total for the '09/'10 season was around 120".  I was very happy that last year ended up being a more typical year (I don't think I even used my Yaktrax more than maybe 3-4 times, since my trail shoes were generally adequate).  The storm we got last night is the first really measurable snow we've seen all season.  Today is my kid's first snow day, which is crazy...most years we'd have had a snow day at least a week or two in advance of Christmas break.

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

We still have bare ground in spots...

For some reason, all I can think of is...

MTA: waves at zooms and Cheryl...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that manatee looks so happy and warm in his Floridian water.  Lucky dude!

~ Sarah Kay

For some reason, all I can think of is...

MTA: waves at zooms and Cheryl...

No Lynn - it's not enough to want to make me get back to pool running.

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group