Yep...Gonna Brag About My Son... (Read 224 times)

Better I Leave

My son worked on this booster. He works for AeroJet as an NDT (Non Destructive Tester) to take "films" of the booster and look for flaws...Yes, I'm a proud father...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/11/us-space-satellite-idUSBRE91A11Q20130211

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd be proud, too...that's pretty cool.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Very cool, he must be an engineer or materials science graduate I suppose?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Better I Leave

Very cool, he must be an engineer or materials science graduate I suppose?

Actually no. As an NDT, he tested for, and passed, an exam while in the US Navy to become specialized. There are various "levels" of NDT and he went for the highest grade...Radiographer. While in the Navy, he, along with his colleagues, would shoot films of submarine hulls with radioactive source material, in order to ensure there were no flaws in any of the welds. One flaw in a submarine hull could lead to a very bad day for the crew members at depth, yes?

Anyway, his job as a Radiographer is considered one of the most "technical" positions in the military that requires good math/analytical skills without a college degree. He was in school full time for something like 2 solid years before he even really began his job. He was active duty for 6 years straight.

robinde

Brag away.  That's very cool.  You should be proud.

sugnim

It's good to be a proud father!

My step dad worked at AeroJet for years as an engineer in Downey, CA.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

You should be proud! Very cool.

TRUST THE PROCESS

SubDood

... While in the Navy, he, along with his colleagues, would shoot films of submarine hulls with radioactive source material, in order to ensure there were no flaws in any of the welds. One flaw in a submarine hull could lead to a very bad day for the crew members at depth, yes?

Very cool, proud father!  Looking at your profile and what you've accomplished over the past 3 years, I'll bet he's pretty proud of you, too!

I'll also add that I'm thankful for the work your son did in the Navy. Congrats!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Neat!  Bragging well-deserved!

Also...

He works for AeroJet as an NDT (Non Destructive Tester)...

Does this mean there is a position in that industry called a "destructive tester?"

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

catwhoorg

Labrat

Does this mean there is a position in that industry called a "destructive tester?"

aka a Mythbuster ...

Smile

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Better I Leave

Neat!  Bragging well-deserved!

Also...

**grin**

Actually "destructive testing" does occur and there are folks who specialize in "testing" components to failure.

Thanks again one and all for the kind words for my son. Smile

my 16 month old wants to know where he can sign up for that destruction job.

Congrats, proud dad! Very cool.

**grin**

Actually "destructive testing" does occur and there are folks who specialize in "testing" components to failure.

Thanks again one and all for the kind words for my son. Smile

redleaf

my 16 month old wants to know where he can sign up for that destruction job.

Congrats, proud dad! Very cool.

My two-year old wants in too....

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362