Runner vs Dog (Read 1202 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm sure the dog just wanted to play.  

At least, that's what the owners always claim to me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well done that man.

The shirtless wonder

I'm scared to death of the pitt on my long run route.  The owners let it out unsupervised on what appears to be a rope tied to their house and a tree (a laundry line style leash).  If that thing wants to get me it will.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If a dog charges you, you need to do your best to play alpha.  Rather than run away from the dog (who will catch you), run towards it, staring it in the eye and barking or yelling loudly.  Be as agressive as you can muster.  If the dog keeps coming and/or makes contact, do exactly as the man in the story did.  Try to get it by the neck and throw all your weight onto the dog.  In natural settings, alpha dogs exert their dominance by grabbing other dogs' necks and pinning them down, so you want to emulate that.  If the dog happens to die as a result of you protecting yourself, so be it.

If there is more than one dog, throw in a few prayers too.

And I am a big-time dog lover, btw.

joescott

If a dog charges you, you need to do your best to play alpha.  Rather than run away from the dog (who will catch you), run towards it, staring it in the eye and barking or yelling loudly.  Be as agressive as you can muster. 

Enthusiastic +1.  Taking this approach has "saved" me on more than one occasion, especially on some of my runs out in the country where people unfortunately seem to just let their dogs run.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Forgot to add - I am also a big dog lover. It is always sad when a dog dies. But if one tries to attack me... especially if I am with my children... I will do the same.

As a dog-lover myself, it's a shame to see it come to this, but yougottadowhatchoogottado. 

I've never personally felt threatened by a dog during a run, but many times large dogs have run up to check out my running partner, Lola (an Australian Shepherd).  These are always tense situations, because Lola is a bit more alpha than her size warrants, and is not afraid to assert her dominance.  I can control her, but I can't as easily control the reaction of the other, often larger, dog. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I don't have strong love or hate for dogs, or bears or monkeys for that matter.  But if civilization has put a barrier between itself and wild animals, why do we welcome them back over the barrier? 

I've heard some awful stories from EMTs, all of which ostensibly begin with a careless owner of a vicious beast. I hate to say it, but I hope there are dire and publicized consequences for Peggy Hamilton. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I don't have strong love or hate for dogs, or bears or monkeys for that matter.  But if civilization has put a barrier between itself and wild animals, why do we welcome them back over the barrier? 

Not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that dogs are wild animals?  Or that civilization has put a barrier between us and dogs?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some of you people are just mean. How about if I imagine myself trampling on your running shoes? How does that make you feel?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Anyways I am excited to hear this, I hope you rock it.

forget wrestling with a dog to project alpha male dominance...instead, shoot dog with handgun, much better application of alpha male dominance with less risk of personal injury. 

Not sure I understand this.  Are you saying that dogs are wild animals?  Or that civilization has put a barrier between us and dogs?

Yes. 

mta: civilization has created a barrier (more or less), between itself and the wild. But for some reason we have welcomed dogs in.  They are wild animals, some of which have been trained, so as to be less likely to attack humans.  Of course, you never know. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Is this the "blood brain barrier" they keep mentioning on House?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

forget wrestling with a dog to project alpha male dominance...instead, shoot dog with handgun, much better application of alpha male dominance with less risk of personal injury. 

What if I instead  pray really earnestly and let god take care of the dog.