Placing! (Read 426 times)

Okay, I must say --- I am uber jealous of those of you with trophies and medals and bobble heads and gift cards Big grin I am not super fast --- my 10K PR is a 47:29 (that's a 7:39 pace) ... but I'd like to think I am a decent runner. Trouble is, I live in an area with LOTS of runners .. Baltimore Road Runners, Annapolis Striders, Howard County Striders, etc. Even running my little heart out at that 10K ... I placed ELEVENTH in my age group Sad There are no "small races" here ... even "local" 5Ks draw hundreds of people. I think my best bet is to just accept the fact that I'll have to wait until I'm 80 to place! I don't really have a question, just want to whine Wink Modified to add: or maybe I should just get faster ... hehe
    2009: BQ?
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That is pretty sucktastic. It's good to have competition, but it can be discouraging. Living in a major metro area, you will always see a lot of "talent" at just about any road race you go to. So after you pass the bar, you need to go on vacation to somewhere way out of the way that happens to have a little road race. Then, CLEAN UP! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I hear ya. The only time I've placed is when there were only 6 runners. Total.
          yah. I know of several people who are much slower than me that live in areas with small races and they are placing in their AG. Good for them! bummer for me, LOL...I'll never know the thrill. Tongue The closest I ever came was a 10k where I place 5th...Trishie, that was my best time of 47:19, we're in the same boat!

Jennifer mm#1231

Ha, thanks guys. I told my husband: it seems like everyone and their mother is a runner in this area ... and their mother probably places in the Master's division Big grin Good idea about taking a vacay and running in a not-so-crowded race!
              The closest I ever came was a 10k where I place 5th...Trishie, that was my best time of 47:19, we're in the same boat!
              Sucks, doesn't it?! But ... very nice time! Smile
                I was just thinking about this very thing this morning. In Chicago, you pretty much have to be regional class -- if not national class -- to place in the popular local events. Your typical local class runner is just another trash mid-packer here. Black eye

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.