Gun time vs. Chip time (Read 477 times)

JimR

But I do think the person who starts 2 waves back, just because of honesty in past times, who has a stellar race (lots of training in between) should be entitled to placement based on chip time.

This makes it a mass time trial instead of a race.

This makes it a mass time trial instead of a race.

Yep. But what some races do is clearly state that you must be in the first (or maybe 2nd wave) to earn any awards, and they are by gun time. I'm assuming the races state ahead of time whether they're using gun or chip. The person who had an outstanding (relative to past) races might wait until he/she has better results so he can start in an earlier wave - if he/she cares.

Like I said, we rarely have AG so I really don't know how local people perceive them. Based on online threads, it seems like people really get into AG. I don't care what AG the person in front of me is, but if I think I can run them down and not hurt my race, I will. Since there aren't many (any?) in my AG (65F now)  in my races, I'm time trialing or picking off the stragglers - or sometimes enjoying the day (if things aren't going right).

I've only done 2 chip-timed races, and one of them screwed up the timing (messed up the early starters), so it's not something that's a major issue up here - at least in my races. And it rarely takes more than a few seconds to get across the start line, except in larger races.

My personal opinion is that for those who care, they can run smaller races or select races who base AG awards on gun time. Don't enter those that use chip time.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

No more marathons

Meh!  Most races that have chip timing (and most do these days - more for the ability to quickly get results) will specify what criteria they will use for AG awards (not sure I've run any that use chip time instead of gun time - but I'm sure some must), and if they don't, then ask the RD.  If you don't like how they do it, don't run that race.  Simple.

And "OMG. I can't believe I raced for nearly 20 years without chips or Garmins. All of my results are WRONG!".  What???  You didn't have running logs like here on RA, nor the forums here.  Guess you must not have been running at all either.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Now what's really neat is the very few races that do awards based on age grading.  Only one in our area that I'm aware of, and last year my DS was the overll winner (both gun time and age graded) and his old man, who finished 9th overall was second after age grading.  How cool was that???.  I told him he better run hard or he was going to lose his first race to me.  Big grin

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

xhristopher

Hey, why don't we just get rid of race distances and timing and just keep track of the finishing order. We could find a new way to relate the general length of a race in a rough value so runners would know if they are racing something similar to a 3-4 mile race or a 9-11 mile race. Beyond that it's just pure racing. Nobody gets a time, just a placing.

Julia1971

I appreciate all the feedback.  I did not say I would move the the front of the pack.  I'm not that fast....yet.  I did finish 3rd in my age group (40-44) and 60th overall.  I will move closer to the front as I was about tripping over people and went to the outside and sprinted by about 30 people.  I am learning which is why I posted up on here.  Thought I did pretty damn good for my 1st competitve race.  My goal has been the Publix Half Marathon in Atlanta coming up in March.  I thought this short run would give me an idea what to expect.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

. This is generally my tactic in big races too - give up the tangent and stick to the outside until the crowd thins. It's usually easier to keep a steady pace and pass people on the fringes of the course. (I also STAY on the road. No cutting across sidewalks).;

As far as the AG stuff... IMHO, it's not worth getting worked up over. For bigger races in bigger cities, the pool of competition can be pretty deep and it really just depends who shows up that morning. I think of AG awards as nice surprises after a race well run. I'm more interested in setting PRs. Wink. I'm pretty speedy but I only place in my AG about half the time. I ran a 5Kish (I think the course was short) in sub-20 and walked away with nothing. I was 3rd female master, 2nd in my (10-year) AG. A few weeks later, I ran a slower time and finished 3rd in AG. The faster ladies slept in that day, I guess..

Hey, why don't we just get rid of race distances and timing and just keep track of the finishing order. We could find a new way to relate the general length of a race in a rough value so runners would know if they are racing something similar to a 3-4 mile race or a 9-11 mile race. Beyond that it's just pure racing. Nobody gets a time, just a placing.

I think you're describing XC. You get a time but it doesn't mean much except where you finished in the pack...I'm planning on getting into XC a bit more in the fall for exactly this reason of getting back to the pure fun of racing without any worry about exact distance or time!

Since I'm slow(er) and don't race often, I'm going to ask a dumb question....

What do you win if you win your AG?

Other than the pride of placing, does anybody really care about the 4 inch trophy or the chotzky (sp?) that you get when they call your name?

I've placed in only 1 race in my life, and didn't get anything special (overall, 2nd out of 40 entrants in the whole race).

I have friends who place in their age group, and I sat around a few weeks ago for about an hour for them to receive a 2oz bottle of syrup for coming in 1st in an age group.  It was a great race, and they were rightfully proud of themselves for their place and position, but they could've been equally proud looking at the internet results 4 hours later at home. (FWIW, this race had about 1,200 racers in a 5k)

Seriously, what's the big deal (other than pride)?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

FSBD

Seriously, what's the big deal (other than pride)?

I've gotten two age group awards.  One was a pint glass with the race logo on it.  The other was maple syrup.

I love using the pint glass, but really its just about pride.  But isn't that why we race?  I know that no shoe deals are coming my way, but I work hard to improve my times so that I can be proud of the effort I put in.  If I get a little bit a schwag out of it all the better.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Since I'm slow(er) and don't race often, I'm going to ask a dumb question....

What do you win if you win your AG?

Other than the pride of placing, does anybody really care about the 4 inch trophy or the chotzky (sp?) that you get when they call your name?

I think you answered it right there: pride. Not hubris, just satisfaction at accomplishing something they worked hard to do.

I've got a few trinkets on the shelf for winning or placing my AG in local races. They're not worth a dime, but they do tell a story. Three years ago I couldn't run a mile without puking. The stuff on the shelf -- and my race bibs -- remind me how I got from there to here.

I'd eat the syrup and save the bottle, though. Waffles!

YMMV etc.

Yes, I thought it was pride, which makes me wonder why people have thoughts regarding the gun time vs. chip time. 
                        At the end of the day, I always consider myself running against myself and my limited abilities.

(Likewise, I conser 'y'all' to run against yourselves and your limited abilities).

As such, who cares about the gun time vs. chip time unless the prize is big enough to care about?

Carry on...

Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

L Train

And "OMG. I can't believe I raced for nearly 20 years without chips or Garmins. All of my results are WRONG!".  What???  You didn't have running logs like here on RA, nor the forums here.  Guess you must not have been running at all either.

Yeah, Tanya, you old hag.  Take that.

It's rare I have time to stay for the awards after races.

Last fall I got custom engraved plaque in the mail for winning my age group in a half marathon. It was nice but I'm not sure what to do with an age group plaque from a half marathon. I think it's on my desk in my home office under some papers.

I like racing people and there are definitely people I see repeatedly who I consider my competitors, some of them are in my age group. Usually, though, time is more important to me than place. I'd much rather come in 109th pace at the NE Championships half marathon in 1:18:06 than win some rinky-dink local yokel half marathon in 1:19:12, although both are fun experiences.

And just in case you are wondering the FORR 5k will likely not have a start mat (or chip timing at all, probably.) If you expect to be competitive you are allowed and encouraged to line up in the front.

Runners run

It's rare I have time to stay for the awards after races.  

You left too early on Sunday. You won an umbrella at the Stew Chase 15k...granted I wouldn't stick around on the off chance of getting an umbrella from a race either.

You left too early on Sunday. You won an umbrella at the Stew Chase 15k...granted I wouldn't stick around on the off chance of getting an umbrella from a race either.

Hmm, daughter's 10th birthday party or chance at an umbrella from the Stew Chase 15k? What to do, what to do...

Runners run