When to run again? (Read 406 times)

rkeddie

Last Wednesday I rolled the old ankle pretty good on a rock in the middle of a run. It promptly turned purple, blue and black and swelled like a balloon animal. It's been a week. The majority of the swelling is gone, except for a little bit right on the ankle itself. It doesn't hurt terribly (I can walk on it), and some of the discoloration is gone. How do I know when I can start running again? Should I wait for the swelling and discoloration to totally disappear? I read somewhere online ( which means it has to be accurate) that I am ok to return to exercise when I can hop on that foot. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance..
      Try to walk +30min with it first. If it can handle it, start slowly to build running distance. First 2-3M and according to your ankles feeling, you can increase the distance. Walk/run around you home so if it starts to hurt, you can/have to immediately return home and let it rest. Within few weeks the ankle will be fine, if you are just patience enough to let it heal its own speed. Also, you can carefully move it on air. Find its max flexibility, until it starts to hurt, but back off immediately. Try to improve its range, but do not over do it. No pain, lots of gain.