Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

ba800m

just started getting back into running after a 2 year break. and its coming along well.   i've been training for 4 months now and have already beat my HS 5k pr of 18:31. ran 17:45 on the 4th of july.  then 2 days later ran a 1600 in 5:00.25 by myself, just 2 seconds shy of my HS pr. sub 17 is my goal for now, but in the future i wanna run under 16:30.  the main reason for this is because i'm currently enlisted in the Marine Corps and i want to join the All Marine Cross Country team. the All Marine coach told me to even be considered for the team that i would have to get my 5k's under 16:30. anyone have any good workouts?
      OK training week

Highlights:

about 80k total

1 set of 1200 repeats - cut short because my legs weren't ready so soon after racing last Sunday

1 40 minute tempo run (I hate long tempos)

Highlight of this week is I'm racing an 800 tomorrow.  It's been 20+ years since I tried a stunt like that.

Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

Training week:

63 miles or so.

RD'd a 5k race and jogged it with my kids.

Ran 16 hilly miles with a couple guys faster than me yesteray.

Drank a lot.

That's all I remember.

Runners run

I once again owe 2 weeks of updates.

Week of 7/13 - 7/19:

Total 28.5 miles - only 4 runs

Week of 7/20 - 7/26:

Total 40.4 miles - only 5 runs

Had a 4 day stretch off over last weekend due to medical reasons.  Happily it was only a temporary thing and I'm back on the wagon.  Still managed to cram 40 miles in last week so the log wouldn't look so sad.

Planning to get over 45 miles the next few weeks, then 50, at which point I'll think about leveling out for a while and doing some quality work.  Probably looking at a 5k or 5 miler in the middle of August as the next race effort.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
          2. Run 5k < 16:00
          3. Hold off father time for at least another year

Training Week 7/27 - 8/2:

47 miles total

1 progression run, ending up at close to tempo pace.  All the rest easy miles.

This was my highest mileage week in quite some time.  Everything is still feeling good, and I'm looking forward to hitting 50 a week soon, and seeing where my times are at.

2014 Goals:

Nick Nunez

Destroyer of Worlds

just started getting back into running after a 2 year break. and its coming along well.   i've been training for 4 months now and have already beat my HS 5k pr of 18:31. ran 17:45 on the 4th of july.  then 2 days later ran a 1600 in 5:00.25 by myself, just 2 seconds shy of my HS pr. sub 17 is my goal for now, but in the future i wanna run under 16:30.  the main reason for this is because i'm currently enlisted in the Marine Corps and i want to join the All Marine Cross Country team. the All Marine coach told me to even be considered for the team that i would have to get my 5k's under 16:30. anyone have any good workouts?

I got three of them for you. This is the workout set i did for 5k in track this past spring but i put in the paces you should hit for your goal. For best results, spread workouts out by 2-3 days between each and dont do the two thresholds in the same week

Sample week 1

easy run-easy run-v02 workout-easy run-easy run- 5x 1600 - easy run- long run.

Week 2

easy run- easy run- vo2- easy run- easy run- 20 minute sustained- easy run- long run

drop the rep workout in place of vo2 whenever you feel like it.

WORKOUTS:

5-6X 1600 and threshold pace. So a 16:30 would be each 1600 in 5:43 with 1 minute of recovery between each 1600

10-12x 400 at rep pace. your goal pace should be 1:14 per 400

20 minutes of sustained threshold. Same pace as the first workout, except you are going continuously for 20 minutes.

5x 1200 at vo2 which is 1:19 per 400 with equal rest.

see how these work for you, best of luck.

I saw a squirrel
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WORKOUTS:

5-6X 1600 and threshold pace. So a 16:30 would be each 1600 in 5:43 6:08 with 1 minute of recovery between each 1600

10-12x 400 at rep pace. your goal pace should be 1:14 1:17 per 400

20 minutes of sustained threshold. Same pace as the first workout, except you are going continuously for 20 minutes.

5x 1200 at vo2 which is 1:19 1:24 per 400 with equal rest.

see how these work for you, best of luck.

Good workouts, but those paces are wrong.  When you use Daniels'  VDOT or any other training pace calculator, you need to input your current time, not your goal time.  The above training paces are for someone who has already run a 16:30 5k. (I know b/c I checked)

Use training paces based on the OP's 17:45 5k , or maybe the 5:00 1600, which is a slightly higher quality run.  (I'd go with the 17:45 training paces -- it's better to be a little conservative when doing intervals, at least when you're starting out). 

These paces will make more sense.  That 20 minute threshold @ 5:43 is 5k race pace.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Gotta Agree here with Globlue.  Here is where the math falls apart when doing workouts based on a goal, rather than current fitness:

ba800m's recent 5k PR, and current fitness is a 17:45 5k.  That is exactly 5:43 pace.  According to Nick, he is supposed to do 20 minutes at sustained threshold at 5:43??   That is a tougher workout than the recent race effort!  If a race is a 100% effort, then how do you do a workout at faster than 100%?

(ps.I think the exact 5:43 is coincidence)

These paces will make more sense.  That 20 minute threshold @ 5:43 is 5k race pace.

duh.  I didn't notice this point.

Nick Nunez

Destroyer of Worlds

Good workouts, but those paces are wrong.  When you use Daniels'  VDOT or any other training pace calculator, you need to input your current time, not your goal time.  The above training paces are for someone who has already run a 16:30 5k. (I know b/c I checked)

Use training paces based on the OP's 17:45 5k , or maybe the 5:00 1600, which is a slightly higher quality run.  (I'd go with the 17:45 training paces -- it's better to be a little conservative when doing intervals, at least when you're starting out). 

my bad. I had the chart in word format and miss counted rows. goblue has the right paces. Also with the 20 minute threshold, i'm leaning towards effort not exact pace. If nothing else, the 20minute sustained has always been a great mental workout (not to downplay its physical benefits).

I saw a squirrel

Ok, I'm frustrated right now because I feel like Im going backwards.  I just finished my biggest volume month ever- 223 miles, the last three weeks were 52.6,61.6,60.1.   I've been running a 5k XC race series every Wednesday for the past three weeks.  My time yesterday was slower than week 1.   I had no kick in my legs, and died the last half of the race.   I thought I might see improvement through the series.

Week 1 time: 18:25

Week 2 time: 18:19

Week 3 time: 18:37

Week 1 was hot, about 90F.  Week 2 was about 80F, and I took as more of a tempo as I had another XC race on a different course on Friday.  Week 3 was 90F again.

I've been running in the heat this summer, so I should be more acclimized now than week 1.  Also, on week 1 and 2, I did doubles on the day of race, and did a double on Monday as well.  I "tapered" for two days and didn't double for week 3...and I was slower.

I'm just starting to question the volume.  60mpw is no biggie in this realm, but I feel like I have performed better with the 45-50/week that I've been doing for the past year.   I get all the supposed benefits of higher volume, but its not showing in my race times.   Yet, anyway.  I should be patient...Grrr.   Im going to stick to it and hope for a slingshot/breakthrough.  But frustrating...

Why is it sideways?

You got it. You should be patient.

You're a month into your experiment with a new training stimulus. You should be tired because the miles are starting to wear you down. This is a good thing!!! No one races to their potential in the 5k while building mileage. You will lose the "snap" you are accustomed to. But a month, maybe two months down the road, you will be beating your old PR's without that snap. Then, it's time to cut back a bit and let 'er rip.

When I'm up at high miles, I feel like crap. I usually don't race at all. And I feel lucky if I can hit my HM pace for a three mile tempo. You're crushing your HM pace running on tired legs in 90 degree heat. I'd say you're doing just fine. But the body is an amazing thing. Give it time. Let it change. Let it develop.

It does not matter how acclimated to the weather you have become. You will not reap the benefits of the volume till cooler temps of the fall. Wise up! Do not question the volume. The supposed benefits you speak of will show in due time.

One can NOT expect for it to happen when the heat and humidity are robbing you of the oxygen rich blood which is being

channeled to the skin to keep you from overheating.

Keep up the volume, and PR in the Fall. My 2¢.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Gopher, looking at your log brings to mind an internal debate I've had in the past concerning the distribution of weekly mileage.  I've never been a high mileage guy (am working on upping that now), but I've always wondered if the distribution of your weekly mileage makes a difference.  That is to say, is it better to hit 50 miles a week by doing a few 12 milers, a few 3 milers, and then 7 milers the rest of the way, or is it better to just run 7 miles every day.  Does it even matter?

As I am currently working on upping my weekly mileage, I've decided that for me, it is better to keep the mileage relatively consistent throughout the week.  So, my long run is only a mile or 2 longer than my average daily distance.  I think that if you are in a mileage building phase, overly long indivual runs will have a tendency to tire you more, and potentially lead to more "dead leg" feelings and potential injuries.  So for you, I wonder if you might be better off turning some of those 12 and 13 milers into 9 or 10 milers, and bumping your 3 or 4 milers up to 6 or 7 milers.

I don't know that either way is right, I'm just thinking out loud.  For me, I'm up to my highest weekly mileage in a long time, and my legs still feel pretty fresh most days.  In the past, whenever I've hit this mileage I've started breaking down, and I think that's because I've overdistanced my long days.

2014 Goals:

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It does not matter how acclimated to the weather you have become. You will not reap the benefits of the volume till cooler temps of the fall. Wise up! Do not question the volume. The supposed benefits you speak of will show in due time.

One can NOT expect for it to happen when the heat and humidity are robbing you of the oxygen rich blood which is being

channeled to the skin to keep you from overheating.

Keep up the volume, and PR in the Fall. My 2¢.

+1

No one races to their potential in 80~90°F heat, no matter how used to it you are.  Performance starts to degrade once you get above 60°F.  No worries.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.