Separating out Races from Courses (Read 1396 times)

Turbolegs

Eric - Just wanted to bounce this of you. When i click on courses in the left side bar, i get a laundry list of all courses i have run including the "race" courses as well. I was wondering if its possible to have a separate filter for just viewing the race courses alone, and not have them mixed with the courses i train on. Alternatively, a single click button for Races which lists all races run ; with a Personal Records button inside this view would be helpful too.

Cheers

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

I got that result by merely naming the race courses "z-[race name]".  The alphabetical list puts them at the bottom, all packed together and not interspersed in my training courses.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Turbolegs

Thanks for the workaround Clive. I will do this if my original request gets turned down. I just think it would be elegant for the Races to have their own place on the Log view.

Cheers

Stranger than you know

How about adding some sort of route type classifier in the course info editor:

* race

* training

(what other classes may be needed?)

and enabling users to sort their courses by distance, type (and perhaps surface too, although that is trickier as surface isn't a one-value variable).

Admittably this isn't a perfect solution as there is some overlap between race and training routes.

Stranger than you know

Personally I work around this by preceding normal training route names with their distance, like this:

06.0 Meilahti-Keskuspuisto

12.7 Meilahti to Haaga loop

which means they will be automatically sorted by distance. Race routes and various uncommon courses lack the distance coding, which means they will be sorted at the end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This reminds me of the idea of separate trail runs from hard surface runs -- which quickly degenerates into a morass of possibilities, however, so I'm not sure why I even mention it.  Except that it would be nice to flag a run as both trail and long.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Stranger than you know

This reminds me of the idea of separate trail runs from hard surface runs -- which quickly degenerates into a morass of possibilities, however, so I'm not sure why I even mention it.  Except that it would be nice to flag a run as both trail and long.

You can do that right now, although a bit indirectly. 'long' as a run type, 'trail' as a course property.

Having said that, it becomes evident that the current set-up is a logical one. 'Race' is not really a property of a course. You can race a course, or run the same course in training -- those of us who live near target races frequently do run the course training at least for less than full marathon distance races. I did some of my long runs on the half marathon event race course.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You can do that right now, although a bit indirectly. 'long' as a run type, 'trail' as a course property.

I don't use course properties -- b/c I don't bother entering every individual run as a course -- plus that "course property" doesn't show up in the graphs anyway -- so from my POV, it is as though there aren't course properties (b/c if I can't see them, it is as thought they don't exist for me).

Stranger than you know

I don't use course properties -- b/c I don't bother entering every individual run as a course -- plus that "course property" doesn't show up in the graphs anyway -- so from my POV, it is as though there aren't course properties (b/c if I can't see them, it is as thought they don't exist for me).

You could use a loosely defined 'pseudocourse' for recording purposes. Make a course called 'Misc. TRAIL runs' with no associated path or length. This is what I do when I run with a group on mondays. They are short recovery runs for me, and the exact route changes week by week, so I don't bother to keep track of the exact route. I just have a course called 'F&S sporty 1 runs (around 6km)' which I choose for these runs ... F&S being the running club. It tells me I did run these runs with the group and the general area where I was running, without going to too much detail, and is more systematic than recording the same info in exercise comments.

Of course this doesn't help with the graphs, but at least you have a way of keeping track of the runs in a way.

EDIT: Having checked your log, Amores Perros,  I see you already do this. Never mind.

eric :)

A course is just a course.  It's a race course because you raced on it.  This is a data presentation issue in that to find a list of race courses, you can search for race entries and then sort by course names.  Of course, right now, you'll get duplicates so I need to do something to filter them out.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't enter courses for races, because they'd just clutter up the course drop-down the rest of the time.

eric :)

I don't enter courses for races, because they'd just clutter up the course drop-down the rest of the time.

If you set the filter to be 1 or 3 months, you won't get too many entries in the course dropdown.  Besides, the course dropdown has automatic filtering.  If you typing in a few letters of the course, then the list gets pruned down quickly.

Turbolegs

In that case, i suggest that in the "Workouts" view, instead of just sorting A-Z or Z-A, say, on the Type of workout, can you have a dropdown where if i select Races, the only entries shown are races? This is basically equivalent to running a Report searching for workouts of "Race" type ...

Eric - I agree that the race is just a "training course" that you race on. In my case, every race i have run barring two, have only been run during the time of the race itself and never in training. I am sure others have similar profiles (albeit less skewed perhaps). Thats the reason why i didnt want these race "courses" to clutter my overall courses list which i train on, where there will be significantly more number of entries that just one.

In any case, appreciate your response and thanks for creating and maintaining such a wonderful site.

Cheers