"An Escalation in Austin" (running related) (Read 159 times)

It's apparently "Off the Beaten Path" due to Jaywalking, but it's a running related thread.

Check this out

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I must be a rebel.  If no cars are coming, I cross wherever is best.       Surely it isn't a menace to society that folks can use their senses and cross a street in a place other than where little white painted lines and flashing lights guide them when its 'safe' to cross?

But back to the MAIN subject, looks like those cops have not jogged a day in the last decade!  Thus their lack of understanding...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

npaden

The street they were writing tickets for jaywalking on looked like a super busy street where it would obviously be a problem for traffic and safety reasons..... NOT!

I think 2 cars drove by in the 2 minutes the guy ran the clip.

The Republic of Austin will be following in NYC footsteps soon and ban large soft drinks.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Wing

Joggaholic

The police's side of the story always leave room to cover their behinds, so the passer-by's side of the story is probably a little more believable.

"We certainly do not condone jaywalking or breaking the law otherwise, but we are actually not even sure that the woman jaywalked, but failure to identify? Come on.  She was reportedly jogging from the right hand side of the screen to the left hand side when she was nabbed and then things did indeed go ugly."

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

This is why I only run near train tracks.  ::stirpot::

You people have issues 

joescott

Makes you wonder if they would have shot her if she had kept running.  What a crock.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

Oh, and get this, according to the Austin Channel 7 news, the police are considering also charging her with resisting arrest.

- Joe

mikeymike

In fairness to the police we have no idea what happened. The video shows next to nothing and starts with her already in cuffs.

Plus she was in violation of several dozen fashion laws with that outfit.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Those aren't Vibrams are they?  Damn the minimalists are always starting trouble.

Not at it at all. 

joescott

In fairness to the police we have no idea what happened. The video shows next to nothing and starts with her already in cuffs.

Well, we have the eyewitness statements of the guy who took the video and pictures.  According to him, she was obviously listening to music as she was running.  When the police asked her to stop he thinks she didn't hear them.  When one of them started to grab her she instinctively (so it appeared to him) tried to wrest herself free not knowing who was grabbing her, which I think about anyone would do.  So at that point they slap the cuffs on her and she's on the ground, and that's about where the video starts.  Clearly this total stranger thought their treatment of her was a bit over the top or he wouldn't have filmed it and gone to the media.

Sooo.....  I think the "resisting arrest", if she is so charged, will be WAY over the top.  I think the "failure to identify" is a total BS charge -- although I leave room for the possibility that they offered her the choice of identifying herself versus jail.  If they offered her such choice and she still refused to ID, then I can see that maybe they had no alternative at that point, but IF she offered to tell them who she was and they still took her off to the pokey, that would be completely outrageous to me.  You just don't take someone to jail for jaywalking.  Give me a break.

Lastly, I think Austin's finest could (a) use a little more exercise clearly and (b) could be spending their time doing "higher value initiatives".  I must jaywalk at least half a dozen times a day, every single day, when I run.  I suppose I'm just a ticking time bomb and when I get my ticket I will have deserved it.  I'm sure in the name of public safety I should be made an example of.

- Joe

mikeymike

The "eye witness" admits he couldn't hear a word the cops were saying.

My take: she ran through the signal, cops told her to stop, she didn't hear them and blew past, they grabbed her, she yelled something like "what the fuck let go of me" an tried to get away, they tried to calm her down, she kept freaking, they asked her to identify herself, she said fuck you get your hands off me. They did a big sigh and said, "Is this really how you want this to go?" she kept carrying on about how she didn't do anything, they stuffed her in the cruiser.

And the internet worked itself into a frenzy.

In my experience you have to try pretty hard to get arrested in situations like that one.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, I'm in a frenzy if she's a minimalist like myself.

mikeymike

Well, I'm in a frenzy if she's a minimalist like myself.

As a minimalist how do you feel about that cut off t-shirt?

Personally I think some old school flashdance style leg warmers would have really completed the ensemble.

Runners run

Wing

Joggaholic

I think the "frenzy" is not a product of this incident alone, but because it's the latest of a string of police overuse-of-force incidents that's been on-and-off the local news for the last couple year.

RunJasonRun

As is the case 100% of the time when it comes to news stories that go viral on the web, there's probably a lot more to this incident than meets the eye.

It's fun to watch folks react in indignation, though.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.