Questions for Willamona about your log/running history (Read 1879 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Willamona. I was looking at your log as you advised racingslug, and I've got a couple questions for you. I noticed you started out running 9-11 minute miles, a few times a week, for some lower mileage weeks. Was that how you started running or had you already been running for a while at that point? Then, over a period of a few weeks, you dropped your pace down to 14-16 minute miles and started drastically increasing your mileage. How did you pick that pace? Were you MAFFing? It looks like you run (easy) almost every day and have been doing so consistantly for several years. Do you get overuse injuries? If not, what do you do to avoid that? From what I can see, you took some significant mileage jumps towards the beginning of your running career. Did that cause you any troubles? Thanks for your time. Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bumping, 'cause I have been pondering these things, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hawt and sexy

Hi, Willamona. I was looking at your log as you advised racingslug, and I've got a couple questions for you. I noticed you started out running 9-11 minute miles, a few times a week, for some lower mileage weeks. Was that how you started running or had you already been running for a while at that point? Then, over a period of a few weeks, you dropped your pace down to 14-16 minute miles and started drastically increasing your mileage. How did you pick that pace? Were you MAFFing? It looks like you run (easy) almost every day and have been doing so consistantly for several years. Do you get overuse injuries? If not, what do you do to avoid that? From what I can see, you took some significant mileage jumps towards the beginning of your running career. Did that cause you any troubles? Thanks for your time. Janell
        When I started up again back in '06, I started using the go hard or go home principle taught to me by my track/cross country coaches back in HS and college. It didn't work and I got PF. I found the MAFfers at CR and bought a HRM to try MAF. It felt great. I had no idea what an easy pace really was so my HRM helped me learn. I have not had any type of problem with overuse injuries since I learned to slow down. My PF healed, even as I increased my mileage and only came back when I started working in steel toed boots last fall. It was short lived the second time around, but then again, I knew how to fix the PF. I do run easy a ton of the time as most people should. My hard/easy days focus on distance as opposed to pace during base phase. I have been stuck in base phase for quite a while due to new stresses intorduced by a job I started last fall. Basically, I spend an additional 40 hours per week on my feet and I had to do some adjusting. I was getting tired from walking for 8 hours and then running after work. I ran my last marathon without going through a peak phase and still hit my goal, but the training seemed much harder than it was due to the new stress intorduced by my work. As long as I keep most if my mileage easy, I have found that I can put in literally as many miles as I want without injury. If I start to feel too tired, I rest. If I feel great, I tend to add mileage to the week. I just do what the body can handle. I do usually go through a peak phase, but I am bad at marking what the workouts are by category, I am more likely to put a note saying 'intervals' and keeping the run log set at easy. Other things to keep in mind, my running career goes back much farther than this log. This log only shows the last time I started training. This is the first time I have maintained fitness year round. Before this, I was a seasonal runner and a smoker. I have also pointed out that I am rather mediocre so take that for what it's worth.

I'm touching your pants.

Bugs

WILLA!!! I think the 9 min miles she was just running. The 14-16 min miles she was stopping and flirting with the boys. Come on, how do you run that much slower, gotta be some walking in there.

Bugs

Wingz

Professional Noob

When I started up again back in '06, I started using the go hard or go home principle taught to me by my track/cross country coaches back in HS and college. It didn't work and I got PF. I found the MAFfers at CR and bought a HRM to try MAF. It felt great. I had no idea what an easy pace really was so my HRM helped me learn. I have not had any type of problem with overuse injuries since I learned to slow down. My PF healed, even as I increased my mileage and only came back when I started working in steel toed boots last fall. It was short lived the second time around, but then again, I knew how to fix the PF. I do run easy a ton of the time as most people should. My hard/easy days focus on distance as opposed to pace during base phase. I have been stuck in base phase for quite a while due to new stresses intorduced by a job I started last fall. Basically, I spend an additional 40 hours per week on my feet and I had to do some adjusting. I was getting tired from walking for 8 hours and then running after work. I ran my last marathon without going through a peak phase and still hit my goal, but the training seemed much harder than it was due to the new stress intorduced by my work. As long as I keep most if my mileage easy, I have found that I can put in literally as many miles as I want without injury. If I start to feel too tired, I rest. If I feel great, I tend to add mileage to the week. I just do what the body can handle. I do usually go through a peak phase, but I am bad at marking what the workouts are by category, I am more likely to put a note saying 'intervals' and keeping the run log set at easy. Other things to keep in mind, my running career goes back much farther than this log. This log only shows the last time I started training. This is the first time I have maintained fitness year round. Before this, I was a seasonal runner and a smoker. I have also pointed out that I am rather mediocre so take that for what it's worth.
            Thank you. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

WOW Bugs..... Shocked Nice Running LOG......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Along for the Ride

Thanks Willamona! I read wingz question and was lurking to see your answer. My BF is a strong (occasional) runner. He also believed in the concept "run hard all the time". His knees would hurt, his motivation would die and he had NO fun running at all. When he discovered heart rate guided running (not MAF, but Zones training) he all of a sudden could go 10-12 miles and still feel good. He was amazed. I think we all are more or less competitive and want to see our speeds increase. To dial down and run easy most of the time seems to make a difference ... hello! You BQ'd Smile MTA: Good job on kicking the smoking! (Former chain smoker here.) If it was easy to kick the habit, nobody would smoke.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Hawt and sexy

WILLA!!! I think the 9 min miles she was just running. The 14-16 min miles she was stopping and flirting with the boys. Come on, how do you run that much slower, gotta be some walking in there.
                  I can actually run a 16 mm and flirt at the same time. Tongue The only walking I do is in 95+ degree days anymore. I do not fall for the stories people tell saying they can't run slower than XX :00 mm or they hurt themselves. !6 mm usually beats the time given and I know slow miles can be done. Granted, people can walk next to you as you run that speed, but it's still running. I am so glad I improved to where I am today. I am super speedy compared to where I started this time around. Bugs, I miss you. We need to get together in these threads more often. Or I need to head back home to run a marathon for a change.

I'm touching your pants.

I do not fall for the stories people tell saying they can't run slower than XX :00 mm or they hurt themselves.
                    I once couldn't run at a slow pace because I bounced up and down too much... and running slow accentuated that... and if I went just a bit faster I would move more forward than up and down... As time has passed and my stride as gotten more efficient and I turn over more frequently... and I shuffle more than bounce up and down... I can now run comfortably as slow as a 12 mm... I never tried to go slower... ;-) I believe the stories but ...

Bugs

I can actually run a 16 mm and flirt at the same time. Tongue The only walking I do is in 95+ degree days anymore. I do not fall for the stories people tell saying they can't run slower than XX :00 mm or they hurt themselves. !6 mm usually beats the time given and I know slow miles can be done. Granted, people can walk next to you as you run that speed, but it's still running. I am so glad I improved to where I am today. I am super speedy compared to where I started this time around. Bugs, I miss you. We need to get together in these threads more often. Or I need to head back home to run a marathon for a change.
                      Well you rock when it comes to slow running. Wink But I think you need the miles then to run faster at races and I wouldn't have the time to run 70-100 miles at that pace. Willa, you should come and run in MN. I got more single men flirting with me than I know what do with. You'd be doing me a big favor by taking them off my hands. Smile

Bugs

Thumbs up to Willa. I never ever thought I could run the pace I'm running now on my long run days. It's actually alot easier than I thought! Thanks again WIlla!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson