Paleo (Read 1215 times)

Good to see another running hunter.

Good to see another running hunter.

Isn't that what Paleo Man was, a running "persistence" hunter?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Get off my porch

MrH

Isn't that what Paleo Man was, a running "persistence" hunter?

Maybe, but Spaniel has it all wrong. He's even wearing shoes.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm doing a paleo challenge with my CrossFit gym. We are allowed coffee, bacon, salt, tequila, red wine, so it is not a super strict challenge.

That's an outstanding diet.

The OP asked a sensible question about an interesting and topical subject.

While some of the responses were helpful and informative the discussion pretty soon degenerated- I don't think this is representative of our group, but I also think Dom deserved better.

I don't know much about the topic myself but I wonder about dog food containing grains or corn meal, clearly not substances naturally occurring in the diet of a carnivore. Does this imply the paleo diet may be deficient in some food groups?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

That's an outstanding diet.

LOL Big grin

#artbydmcbride

The OP asked a sensible question about an interesting and topical subject.

While some of the responses were helpful and informative the discussion pretty soon degenerated- I don't think this is representative of our group, but I also think Dom deserved better.

I don't know much about the topic myself but I wonder about dog food containing grains or corn meal, clearly not substances naturally occurring in the diet of a carnivore. Does this imply the paleo diet may be deficient in some food groups?

If the Paleo man ate anything like primitive tribal peoples do now, we may be missing out by not adding grubs and insects to our diet as well!

Paleo dogs may have foraged for beans and roots as well as scavenged meat.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

If the Paleo man ate anything like primitive tribal peoples do now, we may be missing out by not adding grubs and insects to our diet as well!

I see you havent spent time on a paleo forum.  Mail order crickets. 

and brains.  Dont forget brains. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

Oh eating brains will get you into trouble!!   (mad cows!  sick sheep!  zombies!!! )

Runners run

BarryK1970

Hi, The are some great books that explain how to integrate a paleo lifestyle and eating habits, the best I've read is by Mark Sisson and is titled Primal Blueprint - reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health and effortless energy. It really is an excellent read. I've substantially modified my diet over the last year whilst simultaneously increasing my running and exercise. I now consume as much organic food (meat, fish, veg, nuts, fruit etc) with the Only real goal of keeping my overall carbohydrate levels below 150g per day. I've found I run much more consistently by avoiding carb loading and now rarely consume bread, potatoes, pasta and try to avoid sugar and sweet drinks at least 6 days a week. My running ability has been improving whilst avoiding the dreadful energy crashes I used to experience each day in the run up to mealtimes, or towards the end of my longer runs. One of the top Paleo tips I've read is not to overdo cardio activity like running, and to use you H/R as a guide, generally doing most such activity below 70% of your max HR. then a couple of times a week sprint hard and lift heavy objects, but these activities can literally be for mins rather than hours. I've logged about 116 miles so far this year, principally following these simple principles. My normal runs vary between 2 and 10 miles, I ran 7.5m this morning before eating without any perceptible energy dips. I can't recommend enough trying a paleo type lifestyle change it's possible to adapt the core principles to work for you, your family and your exercise and running goals. Kind Regards BarryK1970