Orthodics and Running Shoes (Read 686 times)

Snorks43

Hi all, I am in week 4 of C25K program, and i though it was about time to get some running shoes, instead of just using my basketball shoes. I have read through these posts enough to know that none of you can tell me which shoes i need to get, but, i have not been able to find any info on what i should do with my orthodics. I over pronate but my orthodics fix that. Do i need to find neutral shoes and insert my orthodics, or find some shoes to stabilise my foot, as well as use my orthodics? P.S. Put me in the group of people who used to think 'There is no way i am running 30mins straight in 9 weeks'.
      Congrats on continuing to run. I definitely recommend getting out of the basketball shoes asap. I also use orthotics, and have been moving more toward neutral shoes, but not completely neutral. I've heard that you can overcorrect with both shoes and orthotics correcting your motion. However, I think you should consult whoever made your orthotics (assuming they are custom) about recommended shoes. (fyi, I used to use brooks beast, and have recently run with nike air structure triax and asiics gel kayano. Today I ran for the first time with Newtons. My favorites have been the nike and asiics, but the nike only lasts 200 miles for me now. Newton reviews TBD, but first run reviews are amazing.) Good luck, and I'd like to hear what you learn, if you do ask your Dr.

Diesel Power

You may want to see if there are any specialty running stores in your area. If there is a local running club, check with them, as they may be able to point you in the right direction. Many of these specialty running stores will offer a free gait analysis, and give you a more precise idea as to which shoes might be good for you. Personally, I overpronate as well, but I don’t need orthotics. I use a shoe insert called “Superfeet,” and they haven’t failed me yet. Kind of pricey ($30), but beats shins splints and runner’s knee. I formerly used Brooks Beast as well, but apparently there is such a thing as too much stability. My running store (Charm City Run, Timonium, MD) put me in a pair of Nike Air Structure Triax’s with the Superfeet, and I’ve not used anything else since.
          And basketball shoes are pretty much the worst thing you could be in, I refuse to use them even for playing basketball.
            Welcome to running......getting the best possible shoes for you is first and foremost....you can run in old shorts and a dirty old basketball t-shirt but top of the line shoes are an absolute must. Dont scrimp on the price for the right shoe either, cause good shoes make all the difference in the world. Most running brands also have web sites and if you look up the shoes in the web site, it will also tell you if the specific shoe is designed for over pronating, neutral or under pro...so at least you will have an idea which shoes you 'might' need or want to buy. If you have a severe problem (and it sounds like you do) the a gait test might be your ticket. also whom ever make or advised your orthotics might have something to offer. Rest assured - there are running shoes for you - you just have to figure it out. I was looking at a NB outlet recently and there was one shoe for serve overpronating (padding was 2 inches thick if not more)...... Id hit the web sites (asics.com, NB.com and so on) and get an idea of shoes, prices and what they are specifically made for and also seek some local help......the first couple pair of running shoes are kind of hard to buy at first until you figure it out..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Snorks43

Thanks for the help, I will have a look at the websites. I haven't done anything yet, but what is so bad about using basketball shoes for basketball? Also, my nearest dedicated running store is 500 km away, but i may approach the local running club.
                Snorks --- where do you live --- In the Outback???? Surprised The other thing yoiu can do is after you have a good bead on a decent pair of running shoes for you, and size etc etc - there are a number of discount web sites and you can buy them on line.....keep you from having to drive 500 km to a running store...... Concerning Running Clubs -- I joined one a few months ago and train a day or two with some of them and Ill tell you - my level of running is improving in leaps as a result - gettin involved in a running club is a very good idea...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Snorks43

Well, technically not in the Outback, but in the middle of nowhere in Western Australia. And before anyone asks, i have come across a few kangaroos and snakes on my relatively short runs, only about 1km from town centre. Smile