Treadmill Douche-baggery? (Read 942 times)

eddiegotsole

Pavement Shredder

Want.

Me too!  The only intervals on the treadmill at my gym are hill intervals and even then when you manually adjust the speed it just re-adjusts itself to the default system programmed speed...

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Me too!  The only intervals on the treadmill at my gym are hill intervals and even then when you manually adjust the speed it just re-adjusts itself to the default system programmed speed...

Yeah, I once had a treadmill that you COULD program... but the intervals would randomly change mid-workout. So if I set it to, say, 6 x .5 miles @ 9.5 mph and then .25 miles jog, it would suddenly pop up with like, 9.3 mph, 9.8 mph, 8.6 mph... it was so strange, and eventually they took that treadmill away and replaced it.  To this day I'm not quite sure what was going on.

Also, as a bitter injured person, I often like to people-watch at the gym.  My favorite lately are the treadmillers who like to do incline walking.  So they crank that incline WAAAY up, then... grab the handlebars, lean back, and stroll with all of their weight hanging from their arms.  Completely defeats the purpose of using an incline unless, I guess, they are training to rappel up a mountain.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Julia1971

Maybe he's training for this:

I went back to the gym for the first time in about a year and my guy was there!  I remembered this gif when I saw him and it was all I could do but laugh.  And then, he gave me good reason.  Today, he put his right foot on the left footpad and his left foot behind it on the right foot pad and did the elliptical sideways.  I couldn't help myself.  I had to look away so he wouldn't see me laughing at him.

I went back to the gym for the first time in about a year and my guy was there!  I remembered this gif when I saw him and it was all I could do but laugh.  And then, he gave me good reason.  Today, he put his right foot on the left footpad and his left foot behind it on the right foot pad and did the elliptical sideways.  I couldn't help myself.  I had to look away so he wouldn't see me laughing at him.

I just almost spit out my coffee at this. "By gum, 2016 is the year I finally figure this dang thing out!" I wonder if he's been trying for a whole year, or if he gave up and is now back with a New Years resolution.

(and the gif, omg. I am easy to amuse at 7 a.m.)

Dream Maker

My gym's treadmills do that at 60 minutes.  It's annoying to hit 60 min, slow down, wait for it to come to a full stop, then wait for it to "reset" the belt, then crank the speed back up and run again when doing long runs.   Usually I just hope no one is on the mill next to me and when I hit 60 I'll just hop to the open one and go.

I saw someone running backwards on the treadmill in my gym earlier this week.  I've done that in the past but just always felt dumb and really felt like I was risking a very embarrassing fall.

I hate that. There's no way for it to show your full time/distance, either.

Though if I think the gym might get busy on the rare occasion I use a treadmill (not strictly necessary here in Georgia) I reset it every 30 minutes so no one thinks I'm almost done and signs up on the clipboard to use my treadmill next, forcing me to get off at 60 minutes by gym policy.

jfa

Does anyone's treadmills go downhill? I guess the governors on in any gym I have been to.

Uphill only.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

forcing me to get off at 60 minutes by gym policy.

It's the only thing I asked the guy at the gym I pay $9/mo for as a backup in the Chicago winter: "Do you have some policy about how long you can be on the treadmill?  Because I'm only interested in a gym membership for 2hr long runs when it's icy-outside."  His response, "nope.  Nobody gives a fuck."  Signed right up.  Been there twice in 1.5 years.  Worth every penny to know I have no excuses.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Does anyone's treadmills go downhill? I guess the governors on in any gym I have been to.

Uphill only.

Yes, 30% up, 3% down in current gym (just a couple months old). The 3% down is kinda fun when following a video that goes up and over a hill (actually 2 hills, iirc), then takes off down toward parking lot. *Almost* makes tm fun, but still doesn't compare with outdoors. (freezing rain that day, iirc)

30% up, x% down, iirc in another one; 15% up, 3% down in another. In this latter one, they (owner) used to put blocks under rear to get more downhill.

Mountain running is popular around here, so they try to get the inclines on the tm for when weather is icy or muddy or whatever. Owner of current gym is a runner (used to be competitive on trail races) and PT. Smile

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  Dreamn

I've been trying to find a gym with a downhill treadmill. No such luck even though I know that they exist.

Uphill only.

Uphill only.

We have downhill on the TMs at Golds...though not sure that's at every Golds and can't recall the brand.

Hope that's helpful.

Mostly harmless

There is a lady that uses the TM at my gym that does the hop on/hop off thing.  I can't quite figure out what it is she's doing.  She hops on, will take maybe 10-15 strides, grab the rail for a few strides and then straddle.  She'll stand there for a while and stretch her neck and shoulders, then hop back on and repeat.  This will go on for about 20 minutes and then she leaves.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

This morning I had one of those wired headset situations. I hit the chord with my hand and pulled my phone off the console, it landed on the deck and went flying between my feet and shot off the back.

So I hit "STOP" and go to hop off and grab and this old guy says, "I got it!" and picks it up and hands me my phone. And I was like wtf there was some random dude standing there watching me run that whole time?

Runners run

Watching you run...Perhaps. STARING at your ass, most likely.

And I was like wtf there was some random dude standing there watching me run that whole time?

Not to burst your bubble, but some crusty old dude in tube socks dropped a Kleenex (gross) on the treadmill in front of me the other day, and I noticed it. I can assure you I was not watching him or his ass.

So I didn't explain the layout here.

There are 2 rows of treadmills. I was running in the front row. The old dude was not on one of the treadmills on the back row, he was just lingering in the small aisle between the rows and I don't think he just happened to be walking by at the moment of  my near yard sale because I feel like I would have seen him out of the corner of my eye walking from either direction. I mean, sure, he probably he wasn't watching me, more likely he  was standing there chatting up someone who was walking on a treadmill behind me. It felt like he just appeared there though. TRUST ME IT WAS WEIRD.

Runners run