Asking for a hydration pack/belt/whatchamathing- What do I want? (Read 722 times)

Shiksa

My birthday is next month and I'm going to drop the not-so-subtle hint that I want something to run with. I'm doing a 1/2 marathon (crossing fingers) in early September. It's hot as heck here during my training. I know nothing about these. I guess I'm looking for something lightweight that won't rub on my hips or back. What is your recommendation?

Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I carry a fluid bottle in my hand. Get a GPS for your birthday instead!
        I carry a fluid bottle in my hand. Get a GPS for your birthday instead!
        Me too, I just carry a water bottle in my hand. I want a GPS for my birthday. Smile

Michelle

Shiksa

I already have a GPS. Big grin I don't think I'd like to carry something. I think I'd rather have it on me instead.

Stacy
          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Try it, it is not so bad. I hate having something sloshing around on my waist.
            mbk

I also prefer a handheld bottle. But if I wear something, it is the Camelbak FlashFlo. It rides well, holds two bottles worth of fluid, has cinch straps to tighten it as you drink fluid, small area for storage, etc. It is my favorite waist pack of all time.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've used the Camelbak Flash-Flo, but I prefer the Amphipod Full-Tilt. It's a belt with a 20oz. bottle that fits sideways along your lumbar area. The little cargo area in the pack holds FAR more than the Camelbak and you can add other bottles to the side of the belt. I have 2 10.5oz bottles that I use on longer runs when it's hot. Nice to have different beverages in each bottle, too. I also LOVE that I can just throw the bottles in the dishwasher. That bladder and tubing on the Camelbak can be a real PITA to clean. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have 1) an insulated hand held 2) A 50oz Camel bak Rogue that doesn't have much storage space for anuthing else 3) a Fuel belt with up to six 8 oz bottles 4) a Ultimate Direction ?? 70 oz back pack with lots of storage and vest-style with pockets on the front If it's hot where you run, I recomend the insulated bottle or packs. The non-insulated bottles (hand-held or fuel belt style) get warm, or hot, even. I have found that after about 5 miles of running with whatever, I get used to it. I agree with zoom-zoom about the cleaning - i no longer will put anything but water in the packs - mold forms real fast if you don't rinse them out in time!
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado