U.S. Olympic Trials (Read 1540 times)

Feeling the growl again

Yes, that might be the saddest 4th place ever - if I understand correctly, Lucas had the A-standard and Conley didn't, so Lucas opened up the opportunity for Conley.

Yes....Lucas burned the candle too early...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

RUPP!!!!!!!!!  Down with Pre's record off a slow start!!!!  Out-kicked Lagat!!!!

Wow. I was yelling at the tele and my kids thought I was a bubble off plumb until I explained the significance of that effort. That was great to watch!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I think it was pretty obvious that Lagat showed he had the sprint then slowed up to allow Rupp the win.

Why is it sideways?

I think it was pretty obvious that Lagat showed he had the sprint then slowed up to allow Rupp the win.

Ya think so, eh?

GALEN RUPP!!!!!!!!!!

3:34, 12:58, 26:48.

52.54 last lap. 

Those are what we call legit medal credentials. Not to mention outkicking Lagat to boot. Pure guts. 

I think your wrong. First off, why would Lagat allow Rupp to win? 

Ignoring that go watch the highlight video of Lagat and Rupp racing down the back straight. Lagat has "the face" the whole way, arms pumping up, and there is no change in, or sign of, relaxation in either until they have both crossed the line. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Feeling the growl again

With his two little kids screaming their heads off for him on the sidelines in what is almost surely his last Trials?

OK....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ignoring that go watch the highlight video of Lagat and Rupp racing down the back straight. Lagat has "the face" the whole way, arms pumping up, and there is no change in, or sign of, relaxation in either until they have both crossed the line. 

Yup.

Runners run

so is Rupp running both the 5,000 and 10,000 at the games?

What would your hopes for 1,500-5,000-10,000 be (considering both men and women)?

1 bronze enough or are you expecting more? 

I know distance running gets dissed in the general public and people suggest ignoring it.  But this is still one of the top 100 sports moments in American history I think...

Look at Mills!  Look at Mills!

What would your hopes for 1,500-5,000-10,000 be (considering both men and women)?

1 bronze enough or are you expecting more? 

I know distance running gets dissed in the general public and people suggest ignoring it.  But this is still one of the top 100 sports moments in American history I think...

Look at Mills!  Look at Mills!

The general public can dis distance running all they want but it doesn't bother  me. Watching Rupp win that 5K, and his seeing how excited he was afterwards, gets me pumped!   Under Armor's slogan of "Athletes Run" is spot on!

Feeling the growl again

The general public can dis distance running all they want but it doesn't bother  me.

+1.  I'm not scarfing Big Macs because people tell me I'm too skinny either.

Why is it sideways?

A quick take, I'm probably missing something:

Well, anyone would be foolish to count Lagat out of a medal in the 5000. Rupp just beat him, so .... yeah. I think Rupp's got a good shot at a medal in the 10k and then maybe could come back and take another shot in the 5000. Lomong is also capable of medaling... but it would be an outside shot for him.

The 1500 is tough, but Centrowitz medaled at Worlds last year, and the three runners we take will all be capable of making the final.

Jager looked really good, but the steeple has historically been totally dominated by the Kenyans, and we haven't really seen if he can close with those guys over the last 300m.

Symmonds has a shot at a medal in the 800.

Can Hall find the magic again in the marathon? Meb is certainly a threat, as he's already got a silver medal.

On the women's side, I could be wrong, but I don't think we've got a chance at a distance medal, except for in the marathon, where Flanagan, Goucher, and Davila have all shown that they are a threat.

Nothing guaranteed, but good opportunities everywhere and a lot of folks will make it to the final.

RUPP!!!!!!!!!  Down with Pre's record off a slow start!!!!  Out-kicked Lagat!!!!

I am happy for him, too, but I don't quite share your exuberance re: the out-kick.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

I am happy for him, too, but I don't quite share your exuberance re: the out-kick.   

I know.  Wink

I'm a fan of both.  I enjoyed the guts displayed all around, it was simply a hard run and exciting race. 

Honestly, Lagat's 37.  I am very happy when he does well, but it's also good to see a younger Americans with more years left on the world stage able to take him while he is still such a legitimate contender.  It extends our hopes further into the future.

Why is it sideways?

I agree with Spaniel. Lagat has been such a great target for these guys, he set the standard, and when he gets beaten (still pretty dang rare) you can tell that he is proud of the runner that did it. I read his thumbs up to Rupp as: "Welcome to the club." 

Utmost respect for Lagat. Without him pushing the younger guys, no way our team is as strong as it is now.

Oh, and Lagat's got another shot to beat him, when it really counts.

I know.  Wink

I'm a fan of both.  I enjoyed the guts displayed all around, it was simply a hard run and exciting race. 

Honestly, Lagat's 37.  I am very happy when he does well, but it's also good to see a younger Americans with more years left on the world stage able to take him while he is still such a legitimate contender.  It extends our hopes further into the future.

Fine, but let's face it, he only nipped him by a hair, albeit in Lagat's "territory." 37 ain't a thing.  Didn't Bernie win the 1500m at Pre?  Tells me he's still got the speed and strength.  

Yes, you can tell he is younger, not so much during the race, but after. Lagat looked at him, waiting to make eye contact and gave him a thumbs up. Rupp's running around screaming, clapping and just generally having a fit.  And he well should, he just ran faster than Lagat!   

MTA: quote 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus