cross training for injury (Read 749 times)

nemo1

I don't know if anyone else has broken any ribs or their pelvis (as most know, I was in a car accident recently). However, I am going nuts and need to do something to relieve my inability to run. I don't want to overdo it, and I'm not allowed to lift anything. I could probably do some leg stuff, but I'm not really sure what I'm limited to with the pelvis. Does anyone have any ideas? Or do you think I should just wait until next week and ask my doctor? Thanks, Sara
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I know how inactivity can drive you nuts. Sad My opinion is that probably you're best off sticking with what you and your doc have already talked about or what they've given you to do as homework with your PT ... and then make a list of what you want to do and bring it with you next week! (That way you don't forget anything!) If you can't wait, I would guess that isometric exercises (ie, tightening the muscles without actually moving, using the opposite muscle to hold still) would probably be safe, but for sure "if it hurts, don't do it" unltil you've talked with the doc. Exercise that brain! Thought you were going to teach us all something new about running? Go find something and report back! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Swimming and biking if it doesn't hurt you.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Swimming and biking if it doesn't hurt you.
          That would be my first thought, too. Cycling works some big muscles (and your lungs and heart), too. During the summers my hubby does a lot of biking (he damned well better...he spent $3500 on a carbon-framed bike a few years ago) in preparation for 100+ mile JDRF benefit rides in the Fall. His weight really seems to drop and he gets rid of his spare tire pretty easily this way. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

you could try water running too -- I think cycling or water running would be the best cross-training sports to keep you in running shape.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Sara. How's it going? Any luck with the doc/PT? I see, NOW, that you did end up doing the "race" last weekend. I never got your time. Sad I would have been happy to put you on the "results" page - I'd even made your own little spot on it! How's the week been? Janell

Roads were made for journeys...