Benched Again (Read 658 times)

Just whining...I started running again two months ago after an ACL injury and now I'm benched again with achilles tendonitis. My new goal in life is to fall victim to every possible sports injury. Anyone else in the same (sinking) boat?
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, until you lose.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

LOL! Hi, Laura! I tore my ACL in TKD about 2 weeks before my deputy black test! I had to get it reconstructed, and ended up taking about a year and a half off from ANY exercise, and then slowly started getting into running. I've not gotten back into TKD in part because I wanted to get back into shape, in part because I didn't think my knee could handle the jumping and twisting, and in part because of other reasons. Did you have to have surgery? Two months after is really fast for starting running after ACL surgery... Perhaps your changed gait from the injury has contributed to your achilles problem? Do you have a PT you're working with now? I'd see about getting some advice from them first. My first guess would be that your enthusiasm for fitness and DOING STUFF has caused you to :: ahem :: overdo it just a wee bit... Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

I had surgery in April. I tore it in October of last year but tried the conservative route with PT etc. first. My doc let me ditch the crutches after a week and then it was walk, walk, walk. It's pretty strong. I went to see him today for a follow up and to whine about my tendon. I've had achilles tendonitis before but not from running. I used to run 25-30 miles a week. I got 2 stress fractures, but no tendonitis. I'm just bummed because now my knee is ready to resume where I left off but my ankle decided to act up! And you're right about the overdoing. My tendon crapped out right after my fastest run so far. Coincidence????? You're cat is cute!!
        It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, until you lose.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Surgery in April... Running by June... Yep. Did your PT say it was okay to start running? Hmm??? I bet if she did she didn't know the creature she was unleashing... Wink You've probably noticed a limp, especially when you're tired. I know I did, and I had a lot more healing time than you've had. Your shoes will need to be changed more often (I learned that the hard way!) because limping makes one of them die sooner. Here's a challenge for you... rest and recover. Get better before you start running again. When you do, MAKE yourself do less than you think you can do. It'll be tough, but you didn't get your BB by being a wuss with no self-control. It may be a while before your body's ready for any hard running. Consider it a test of courage and discipline to work witin the limits your body is trying to tell you it currently has. ::shrug:: Worked for me! Wishing you luck and good training.

Roads were made for journeys...

Here's a challenge for you... rest and recover. Get better before you start running again. When you do, MAKE yourself do less than you think you can do. It'll be tough, but you didn't get your BB by being a wuss with no self-control. It may be a while before your body's ready for any hard running. Consider it a test of courage and discipline to work witin the limits your body is trying to tell you it currently has. ::shrug:: Worked for me! Wishing you luck and good training.
            Crap, I hate it when someone says something profound & absolutely accurate that we could all learn from. Janell & I seem to be Queens of the Land of Overuse Injuria!!!!
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3