Function of Time Trial (Read 494 times)

Ham & Egger

About to ask a kind of obvious question, but just want to double check my gut instincts. I'm going to jump into a 5k next weekend to just get a sense of what kind of shape I'm in. I'm nowhere near peak shape--just putting in miles and am trying to get in decent aerobic shape before starting to put in harder pace work for a late Fall marathon. In the past, I've gone to the well in these diagnostic races--and I'm thinking that's not a good thing. So, all of you out there who do a diagnostic race early in the training cycle: do you tend to hold back some--not make any real surges or get yourself to the "I want to barf" stage in race? I'm thinking Lydiard, for instance, just wanted these TT to be restrained efforts, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm remembering right? Nobby, Jim, Obsessor, Hannibal Granite, Spaniel/AndyH, et al...any thoughts. Thanks, in advance.
    www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
    mikeymike

All out.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

All out.
        Dude. Races are for racing. I mean, I can see the old "it's a training run" argument for a HM or something, but for a race as short as a 5k, no reason to not put the hammer down.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Right on Hereford...

In the past, I've gone to the well in these diagnostic races--and I'm thinking that's not a good thing.
          Why not? Smile Seriously, you've got plenty of mileage to support an all-out 5k effort. If you want to find out what kind of shape you're in, why not go for it? I'm sure you know far more about running than I do, but that's my take on it, anyway...
          JakeKnight

no reason to not put the hammer down.
            Is there no reason? This question intrigued, because I couldn't think of a reason. I was under the impression you could run at least a couple full out 5ks a month without impacting your training. But I thought there might be some reason not to ...? What's the thinking there? Edumakate me.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Ham & Egger

Thanks folks. Appreciate it.
              www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
              obsessor

You realize you are tired, in the middle of training, and will not run an optimum time. So I would not set out at a PR pace, but... Just race, man. Run as fast as you can.