Lets talk about sugars (Read 1011 times)

Questions, yes.  What is "better carbonation"?  Will my burps be any different if I use one sugar over another?  I've used both corn sugar and table sugar to carb my beer and haven't noticed any difference.  As a matter of fact, you use less table sugar by weight than corn sugar, so maybe that is better.  Anyway table sugar is cheaper and more readily available so I use that.  My next batch will be an oatmeal stout and I am going to carb that with dark brown sugar.  The yeast will eat what you give them.

I wouldn't use malt extract unless I had to because I have heard that you will get a krauzen ring in the bottle.  But it will carb the beer just fine.

My comment was mostly in jest, not really intended to start a serious debate about corn vs table sugar for carbonation.  Although I would agree you can use many different sugars to carb your beer, some may impart a slightly different flavor, head, or clarity on the final product.   For example, your choice to use dark brown sugar for outmeal stout was most likely not based on a roll of the dice that day.

Prince of Fatness

My comment was mostly in jest, not really intended to start a serious debate about corn vs table sugar for carbonation.  Although I would agree you can use many different sugars to carb your beer, some may impart a slightly different flavor, head, or clarity on the final product.   For example, your choice to use dark brown sugar for outmeal stout was most likely not based on a roll of the dice that day.

Yeah, I was mostly just having some fun with you.  And you are correct, there is a reason that I will use the brown sugar (which of course is table sugar with some molasses added).  It's to add a little molasses flavor to the beer, which I think will work well in an oatmeal stout.

Not at it at all.