Private routes shown when searching for other routes in my area (Read 882 times)

donovangw

I've got 4 routes loaded and i've marked them all as private in order to prevent them being shown when somone does a search for routes around my area. I've just done a search for routes in my area and all my routes have come up! Is that because i'm logged in and therefore only i'm being shown my routes plus all the other public ones or is this a security problem where my 4 private routes are being shown regardless of my private option selection? Cheers.
    Greg
      Good point, I just checked that out too. I figured private meant it wouldn't come up in a search. Is there something I failed to do make certain the routes are private?

Michelle

Is that because i'm logged in and therefore only i'm being shown my routes plus all the other public ones Cheers.
        could be- log out - try again - and then let us know if the same thing happens Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

eric :)

The site lets you see things that you have access to. Since you own your maps, they will be included in the searches but will not be part of other people's results. You can verify this by logging out and doing the same search. This question has come up before. I understand it's somewhat confusing. Maybe I should just remove this feature and only display public maps. It'll save some CPU cycles on the server too. eric Smile
            I tested that theory - I went in as myself and checked and mine and my son's were there. Then I went in as Charlie and checked and mine and his were there. I believe I have them marked as private.

Michelle

Hi guys, I checked the maps last night and everything is working as they should, i.e. the private maps remain hidden. Michelle: some of your maps are public while others are private. Could this be the issue? eric Smile
                Hmmmm. Good question. I thought that in the options section I had checked keep maps private....I must have missed something on each individual course. I'll check that out. I only half pay attention with all that I do, I should work on that. Big grin

Michelle

Blush OHHHHH. There it is. That little box that says PRIVATE MAP, right above the map of each course. Observation plays a key role in intelligence...I'm a little lacking in both areas. Thank you.

Michelle

Blush OHHHHH. There it is. That little box that says PRIVATE MAP, right above the map of each course. Observation plays a key role in intelligence...I'm a little lacking in both areas. Thank you.
                    Hi Michelle, The check box in the options controls new maps' privacy setting and does not affect existing maps. Perhaps you set it t private after you've created some maps? If you enabled this option, then all the maps you create will be private, unless you specify the individual maps' privacy control. Does this make sense? It is a little complicated but it's also the only way to make everyone happy. eric Smile
                      You just like to prove how little I pay attention, don't you?....hold on, let me check it out again. Roll eyes

Michelle

You just like to prove how little I pay attention, don't you?....hold on, let me check it out again. Roll eyes
                        I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can. Would you prefer that I be terse or ignore your inquiries altogether? Smile
                          Well, by going back into each of my courses and checking the Private Map box, my courses did not show up when I went in using my son's login (as you can see here) and did a search for my town, whereas before they did show up. So, something worked. I'll try going into his and doing the same and then see what happens. Michelle (Mississippi)
                            I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can. Would you prefer that I be terse or ignore your inquiries altogether? Smile
                            Nope. I appreciate the help. And the patience.

Michelle

donovangw

The site lets you see things that you have access to. Since you own your maps, they will be included in the searches but will not be part of other people's results. You can verify this by logging out and doing the same search. This question has come up before. I understand it's somewhat confusing. Maybe I should just remove this feature and only display public maps. It'll save some CPU cycles on the server too. eric Smile
                              I see. Logged out, searched, none of my maps on display. Thanks for the response. Glad I wasn't the only one! (Mississippi)
                              Greg