intro and question about shoes (Read 112 times)

spkn66

Hi Everyone!! I'm a newbie who wants to get in better shape. I'm a 47 yr old female, slightly overweight, who plans to work the "couch to 5K" and run some races in 2014. I've been juicing for 5 months and now down 25lbs but have 15lbs to go to be at goal weight.

I'll be running the St. Paddy's 5 miler as my first goal in preparation for Bloomsday 2014 which I've walked before but would like to run at least half this time around.

When I walked Bloomsday I bought new shoes (Saucony Cohesion 3) and they were great! Have continued wearing them as everyday shoes while I continued my evening walks for the last year and a half. Naturally not wanting to fix what wasn't broken I went out this last week and purchased Saucony Cohesion 6 however, while wearing them around the house or just sitting my feet feel tired with them on. Why? My laces are not tight (I can slip them on/off without untying the laces) and I can actually move the tongue around or insert my fingers down the insides with ease so why would these make my feet feel tired?

I look forward to chatting with all of you...

Thanks for the help!!

ulikunkel

You should never wear running shoes as "everyday" shoes.  They should be used for running, and running only.  Or walk/runs in your case.  Get another pair of shoes for casual wear and sitting around.  There are a number of reasons for this, which you can google for more info.

Without seeing your feet it is impossible to know why your feet feel tired and it is questionable whether it has anything to do with your new shoes at all.  It could be many, many things.  Perhaps a doctor's visit could rule out more serious problems that can cause tired limbs?

Hi Everyone!! I'm a newbie who wants to get in better shape. I'm a 47 yr old female, slightly overweight, who plans to work the "couch to 5K" and run some races in 2014. I've been juicing for 5 months and now down 25lbs but have 15lbs to go to be at goal weight.

I'll be running the St. Paddy's 5 miler as my first goal in preparation for Bloomsday 2014 which I've walked before but would like to run at least half this time around.

When I walked Bloomsday I bought new shoes (Saucony Cohesion 3) and they were great! Have continued wearing them as everyday shoes while I continued my evening walks for the last year and a half. Naturally not wanting to fix what wasn't broken I went out this last week and purchased Saucony Cohesion 6 however, while wearing them around the house or just sitting my feet feel tired with them on. Why? My laces are not tight (I can slip them on/off without untying the laces) and I can actually move the tongue around or insert my fingers down the insides with ease so why would these make my feet feel tired?

I look forward to chatting with all of you...

Thanks for the help!!

an amazing likeness

One of the more interesting challenges of reading posts on RA and positing a reply is tying to figure out the core of the question so that a reply is relevant....it's fraught with risk....

I think what you're asking is around your feet feeling "tired" when wearing your new shoes around the house. To me, that would mean your feet are having to work hard in those shoes...for some reason. My guess would be that the shoes are simply stiffer than you're used to and take more force to bend as you walk in them, but even more likely....the arch doesn't align well with your foot?

I just glanced at the Saucony web site, and the Cohesion is listed a flexible, neutral shoe -- so my guess is poor fit making your feet work hard to keep them on -- are you squeezing your toes down?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I have no idea about the shoes, but welcome and good luck with the March 5k. I'm similar age and recently lost 40 pounds and my first 5k is tomorrow. I'm definitely running the whole thing. You have a lot of time time to prepare to run yours, too Smile Try the shoes in a walk or practise run and see how they feel compared to just sitting around in them.
          GinnyinPA

Having shoes that are too loose does actually make your feet work harder to keep them on.  Tighten the laces and see how they feel.

spkn66

Milktruck - That's exactly what I was asking and pretty much what I was thinking!  My guess is also a poor fitting shoe since I did just fine in the saucony cohesion 3's but not the 6's.

I don't think I need a Dr. to tell me to try another shoe so I'll save that money and apply to a more expensive shoe if that's what it takes. As for the comment about my shoes being too loose? No! This is just how I wear my shoes and was implying they're not tied too tight (as in cutting off circulation).

Oldfatslow - good luck on your run!! I'm excited for you! Smile

Thanks for the welcome!!

One of the more interesting challenges of reading posts on RA and positing a reply is tying to figure out the core of the question so that a reply is relevant....it's fraught with risk....

I think what you're asking is around your feet feeling "tired" when wearing your new shoes around the house. To me, that would mean your feet are having to work hard in those shoes...for some reason. My guess would be that the shoes are simply stiffer than you're used to and take more force to bend as you walk in them, but even more likely....the arch doesn't align well with your foot?

I just glanced at the Saucony web site, and the Cohesion is listed a flexible, neutral shoe -- so my guess is poor fit making your feet work hard to keep them on -- are you squeezing your toes down?

spkn66

Just wanted to follow up... I went to my LRS and was evaluated and ended up with New Balance & superfeet insoles. I'll check back again after I've had some running time in these shoes. Cheers!