Tsarnaev makes cover of Rolling Stone - are you outraged? (Read 325 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

mikeymike

Here is a picture of my dog:

Runners run

Doc, my tooth hurts

No.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Yeah, I am a bit; not sure outraged is the right word. The story could be interesting, thought-provoking and insightful, but putting him on the cover is like conferring celebrity status. It offends me.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, I am a bit; not sure outraged is the right word. The story could be interesting, thought-provoking and insightful, but putting him on the cover is like conferring celebrity status. It offends me.

That's kinda how I feel.  Rolling Stone does good work in presenting controversial topics (as Ilene demonstrates), but does it need to be sensationalized on the cover?

I like your dog, Mikey.

A Saucy Wench

I'm not sure it is his presence on the cover that is the problem as the choice of image which looks very rockstar/glam/Jim Morrisoney.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

BeeRunB

He hasn't been lawfully tried yet, and this cover pretty much convicts him as a monster ahead of time. Is it glorification of a criminal, or is it the media convicting another American citizen before guilt has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not sure it is his presence on the cover that is the problem as the choice of image which looks very rockstar/glam/Jim Morrisoney.

This is my issue, as well.  I think the reviewer in The Globe had a pretty eloquent take on things.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

FSBD

Their job is to create buzz and sell their product.

Mission Accomplished.

All of the media, not just Rolling Stone, is guilty of glamorizing these kinds of people.  People should just forget his name.  I also blame our justice system for moving so slow.  It's been three months already why has he not been tried, convicted, and hung yet?  He would be an afterthought to MOST of the world by now if he had been hung or thrown in a dark hole two months ago.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

bhearn

People should just forget his name.

Yeah. But I couldn't help, then, looking for a few anagrams.

Shaved? Thank Razor.

and more aptly,

Short Hazard Knave

Sorry to be flippant. Yes, I am offended. But on reflection, not surprised.

xhristopher

After Sandy Hook there was a good national conversation about not glamorizing the monsters. The public doesn't want to see it. Rolling Stone apparently missed that.

As revolting as it is, it is a free country after all. Rolling Stone has a right to destroy what's left of its increasingly irrelevant publication.

bhearn

the choice of image which looks very rockstar/glam/Jim Morrisoney.

For that matter, the Manson one is also very Morrisoney.

xhristopher

Led, you forgot to use the polling feature.

jfa

After Sandy Hook there was a good national conversation about not glamorizing the monsters. The public doesn't want to see it. Rolling Stone apparently missed that.

As revolting as it is, it is a free country after all. Rolling Stone has a right to destroy what's left of its increasingly irrelevant publication.

I like these points.

It's the scumbag /sicko/ wackjob's ability to become famous that's most disturbing. It's impossible to do, but if no one ever mentioned their names, maybe there would be less of these awful crimes committed.