Final Marathon Complication (Read 150 times)

joescott

Race tomorrow.  Have been sick with a fever twice in the last 16-17 days.  To add injury to illness, I was hugging my freshman last night after he ran a brilliant 2-mile and he stepped hard on my big toe.  With a spike.  Last night I bled through the sock and shoe.  This morning it's not bleeding, but it's a bit raw and red all around.

But I can't be too upset.  Hard to stop smiling, actually.  He and his older brother both ran beautiful, PR races last night in the same race, and I have to say they inspire me to go out and give it my best in the morning.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

Good luck, Joe!

Runners run

BeeRunB

Good luck, Toe! I mean Joe!

I mean toe...

Joe, think of it this way: you can be the next Curt Schilling, putting on your most heroic performance ever while wearing a bloody sock.

Good luck!

Dave

Joann Y

Good luck Joe!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Best of luck, joe.  Just remember, the toe really won't feel so bad when the rest of your body is writhing in agony around mile 22.  So there's that to look forward to.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Good luck, both toe and Joe. :-)

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Odds are you'll forget about the toe and the fever for a few hours in the morning at least.  Good luck - I'll be watching/cheering for you!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

2:53:00 and 2AG!!  Big congrats, Joe!

(Hope I'm allowed to report for you.)

bhearn

Oh yeah!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wow!  Way to go Joe!

steph  

joescott

Hey, thanks everyone!!  This was a very nice surprise to get all your well wishes and congrats this evening when I logged in.

It was WINDY out there today!  I was very grateful to put together a pretty good race.  (And my big toe seems none the worse for the wear, either).

- Joe

joescott

(Hope I'm allowed to report for you.)

Of course, and thank you, LL!

- Joe

BeeRunB

Congrats, Joe. 2:53--nice.

delicate flower

Nice going, Joe!  Busted up toe, illness, and still a 2:53.  Impressive.

<3