Achilles heel injury (Read 571 times)

cikana2

Hi all. Brand new to forum. I have a minor achilles heel pull following a 5 mile run. I'm kicking myself for not streching properly before I ran. Last time I did this was playing basketball a few years ago and I just cut back on activities for a few weeks. It's sort of sore, but not too bad. What's the best way to rehab this sort of thing? Thanks.
    sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

If this is a new injury, be very careful not to make it worse. If you're aggressive in treating it you can get over it in a few weeks. For the short term, take an anti-inflammatory after every run (don't do this for more than two weeks). Also, you can use an ankle brace while the achilles is still a tender. In the longer term, start stretching the calves aggressively, especially before and after every run, but at least 3 times a day even when not running. A foam roller is also a great way to release tension in the calves. Ice the achilles every night by simply resting the back of the ankle on an ice pack for about 15 minutes. It's best to do this right before bedtime because after icing the achilles will be very fragile and easily injured.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

I had a pretty severe Achilles Tendinitis almost two years ago and it sidelined me for three months. What follows is the program my doctor gave me to follow until the tendon healed and then what I have seen in articles that actually cite studies as opposed to just wing it based on the author's experience. For now I would just stop running on it until it feels better. While it is healing you should also ice it twice a day for 15 minutes. Even after the tendon feels better keep icing it for at least a few weeks, if not a couple of months. Taking ibuprofen twice a day for about a week will also help. Depending on how bad it feels you should or should not start doing stretches. If you can barely walk, forget stretching. If it just annoying -- stretch. In the end I wound up with a program of three stretches to do twice a day. Go to The Injured Runner for two of them. In addition you should also do negative heal lifts. The negative heal lifts are the only stretch that studies have found will prevent a recurrence so I strongly recommend doing them. Find a stair. Place your foot on it with your forefoot on the step and your heals off in the air. Use BOTH legs to lift up. Then use just one to come down with. Do NOT overstretch the tendon with this. Just go down a little past the step. Repeat three times with each leg. Start with something like 5 drops in each repetition. Eventually, you should be able to work your way up to 20. I disagree with sdewan on when you should strech. My advice would be to avoid streching right after runs. Your tendon is pretty sensitive then and you are more likely to reinjure it than do it any good just then. Also, the evidence that streching right before a run prevents an injury like this is pretty thin. No evidence it hurts, just no evidence it does much good. Given that I generally do my streches in the morning when I wake up and just before I go to bed. Sometimes the morning streches are right before a run, sometimes not. I would just not worry about it. Between the stretches on The Injured Runner and the negative heal lifts I have not had any recurrences. Best of luck. The good news is this is an injury that typically heals completely.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

cikana2

thanks very much for the advice. I really appreciate it.