new software to my 305? (Read 519 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

How do I upload the latest software to my 305? or Firmware, or whatever. It's plugged into my computer right now. I just uploaded all my runs from the last year, and dumped everything but the last month off the watch. I checked the thing in the software updates. I'm using version 3.3.2 and there is a version 3.3.4. I downloaded the 3.3.4 but then it seemed like after the quick download, it wanted to re-install the program. I said no, since I was afraid it would delete all my old runs. So, now I still have 3.3.2. My questions are: 1. Should I go back, re-download 3.3.4 and let it re-install? Will I lose all data? 2. How do I update the software on the watch? Or does the above to the computer program AND watch? 3. Why do most of my runs from a year ago (saved on the computer) not show the maps/line charts but have all the actual distance data still? Sorry, I rarely upload from the watch, so I feel like a complete moron. Really, I just like to run and don't spend much time pouring over the data. Mostly becuase that's what I do in my job all day (pour over data in line charts) and I don't want running to remind me of work too much :-) Thanks

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Imminent Catastrophe

You can back up your data then do the update. It shouldn't delete your runs but just in case you would have the backup. Knowing Garmin software, I would definitely do the backup first, it routinely loses my workouts even without an update.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, so I reviewed the rev #. You are talking about the Garmin Training Center Software, not the device software (which is on version 2.80). I know this because a) when you go to Settings-->General-->About on the 305, it shows v. 2.80 b) Check for Update on the GTC shows I am currently on v. 3.2.3 on my Windows machine at work and wants me to upgrade to 3.3.4. This update will not do anything to your device or what's on it, as it is for the desktop software only. I am doing this update on the desktop now. I'll report back.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Update: Installed the new desktop software rev without a hitch. Like most software installations on Windows, it takes a long time. Just to be safe, you should back up you user data before upgrading (although I didn't have any issues). Go to File-->Backup (username). This will give you the opportunity to backup the database. You will need to plug your device in and associate it with your GTC username. Be sure to uncheck the box where it asks to create a new user -- you want your Forerunner to be associated with your existing user data in the GTC software. Again, this will do nothing to the device software/firmware, and nothing is being written to your Forerunner.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

an amazing likeness

I realize from the other replies that you may be working on updating the Garmin Training Center (GTC) softwre on your PC. For some additional clarity, I'll add that there are two types of software in the 205/305 itself -- the 'GPS' software and the 'device' software. These are best updated using the Garmin WebUpdater application which can be found at: http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/ If you want your device to have the latest software versions, download WebUpdater to your PC, make sure the device is connected in its USB cradle, and then run WebUpdater -- it will do all the work for you of fetching the correct software updates for the device (not GTC) and installing them.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.