Golden Corral: Say it ain't so! (Read 344 times)

Mysecondnewname

OK, I'll admit it--- I actually like Golden Corral.

There...I said it.

I don't go often (if I did, I wouldn't be able to run Smile), but I think it's fun to chow down there once in a blue moon.

Enter Brandon Huber, alleged Golden Corral whistle blower with this terribly disgusting video:

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/golden-corral-dumpster-food-cook/2013/07/08/id/513793

Ugh!  (although, I had to laugh at the "all you can eat ribs...by the dumpster" line).

In fairness, the company is now claiming that Brandon's pop tried to extort them for 5 grand.  However, others are posting gruesome pictures allegedly from other Golden Corrals...can't wait to see where this story leads. Sad

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have no idea what a Golden Corral is.

And it sounds vaguely dirty.

I'm pretty grossed out that there were actually people eating at Golden Corral in the first place.

— brandon. (@brandonspears) July 8, 2013

^^This

Jess runs for bacon

We just had one open around here and in the first week there were reviews it was filthy. You'd think they could keep it clean for a month at least. Pass.

If they had cell phone cameras when I worked in restaurants +/-20 years ago, I could've showed you some crazy stuff too.

Nothing quite like this, but likely very comparable.

Every one of the restaurants I worked at are still in business, and believe it or now, I'll still visit them.  I just avoid certain foods because of it.

(None of them were fastfood.  All of them were made to order type of restaurants).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

We call it Golden Trough. And we don't eat there, mainly because of some stories we've heard from a former kitchen worker. Also, I'm not crazy about buffets where kids are running wild, sticking their fingers into the food.

Feeling the growl again

Working in a restaurant is one of those jobs everyone should do for at least a summer.  It opens your eyes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Working in a restaurant is one of those jobs everyone should do for at least a summer.  It opens your eyes.

Many years ago I worked at a pizza hut (Ft. Wayne, IN area) and it was one of the cleanest and sanitary place I could imagine. We were told that if we were ever in doubt about food quality, throw it out.  Many people might not know this, but the Pan Pizzas are suppose to be made fresh every day, and throughout the day. If any are left at the end of the day, they are suppose to get thrown out because if you didn't by the next morning they smell rancid. I think the mgmt chain, from the franchise owner to the man that owned all area stores, set a pretty high standard for quality. Unfortunately, when I moved to Chicago the local pizza huts didn't have the same quality standards and you could tell within minutes of walking in.

kcam

Many years ago I worked at a pizza hut (Ft. Wayne, IN area) and it was one of the cleanest and sanitary place I could imagine. We were told that if we were ever in doubt about food quality, throw it out.  Many people might not know this, but the Pan Pizzas are suppose to be made fresh every day, and throughout the day. If any are left at the end of the day, they are suppose to get thrown out because if you didn't by the next morning they smell rancid. I think the mgmt chain, from the franchise owner to the man that owned all area stores, set a pretty high standard for quality. Unfortunately, when I moved to Chicago the local pizza huts didn't have the same quality standards and you could tell within minutes of walking in.

Same here, 'cept it was a Denny's in my case.  That place was clean.  I also think it has to do with management, with the individual franchise management having the biggest influence.

I have, once, eaten at a Golden Corral and I am not going to watch that video.

.... and I have cut back on eating out AT ALL ever since I caught a few episodes of Kitchen Nightmares.  F that!  Why take the chance when we can cook far better, far healthier and far more inexpensively at home.

Sue in PA

Ate at a GC once recently--first time, and was kinda grossed out.  Did not enjoy that meal.  Now, after seeing this, I'll not only never set foot in one again, but I'll also probably feel a little queasy just driving by one. Dead

Mysecondnewname

I once read some of the stories here  http://stainedapron.com/

about some of the things that go on in restaurants.   ***Shudder***

Beware:  it might make you swear off restaurants for good...

PS:  My SIL used to work at KFC.  She always said "DON"T eat the corn!"   Never found out exactly why...

Almost a decade ago my parents took the family to an Old Country Buffet, which I put in the same category as Golden Corral. It was some of the worst food I've ever tasted compiled into one place. At least the ice cream was edible. We've never been back.

In a separate grosser story, I once ordered one of those natural iced teas that need to steep at a local restaurant and halfway through dinner I sucked something weird and hard into my mouth through the straw. I pulled it out out of my mouth and I swear it was a toenail. I was young and was shocked and embarrassed by it so I didn't tell anyone and just threw it on the floor quick and didn't drink anymore. I know... weird reaction. I wish I would have done so much more. Steeping toenails in the iced tea... so wrong. I hope I was mistaken. I told my parents at a later date when they suggested going to eat there again and my Dad then shared that he's seen the kitchen and it was disgusting. "Then why did we ever go there!!!?"

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Runner Mike

Yeah reddit did a bang up job with the Boston Bombers. Nearly destroyed the lives of two innocent kids.  I would trust redddit as much as I'd trust Golden Corral.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

There's a GC by me, but I've never been there. Quite frankly, I'm a little afraid to go there. Lol.

Gator eye

Buffet = Big Ugly Fat F*ckers Eating Together

Nuff said.