Estimated calories vs. meassured calories (Read 170 times)

Joann Y

But did you consider vertical oscillation which Garmin does very well :stirpot

This is irrelevant. If you ran like an ostrich or dinosaur, like your s'pose to, this would not be an issue.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Let me add that when I run by, most women and some men experience an increase in their HR, but they still are not granted an opportunity to burn more calories.

Wait. TMI?

Joann Y

You mean, like, a fight or flight response?

Feeling the growl again

Let me add that when I run by, most women and some men experience an increase in their HR, but they still are not granted an opportunity to burn more calories.

Wait. TMI?

Yes because they're thinking "there goes that m&$(# f%#^$g race director who told me to run Monkey...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

I'll see your irrelevant and raise you a stupid.

Dude goes back out and runs a third time. First mile he pops a 5 m/m. Then 2 miles at 12:30 m/m, then back to 2 at 9 m/m. During miles 2 and 3, the HR is still elevated. So for 3 miles, the HR is high, then settles back down. 5 miles total. Still burns x calories. No difference in overall time or distance.

Actually quite a relevant point.  The only time I ever found a HRM useful was to estimate my marathon pace.  To run a mile at a specific HR I always took a full quarter mile to even out my HR at a specific number before timing a mile, otherwise it would be very skewed.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A little later in the day, same dude goes and runs the same 5 mile course, but now it is 78 degrees outside and so his heart rate is higher than when he first ran. Still 9 m/m, but a higher HR. Still burns x calories.

Joann Y

What about uphill into the wind? Same calories?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Uphill, yes.

And that will make his HR higher.

Wind does have an influence, but this influence is not proportional to HR. I just checked the internet.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is irrelevant. If you ran like an ostrich or dinosaur, like your s'pose to, this would not be an issue.

False dichotomy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also, I'm glad the dude is tripling to get some decent mileage in.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Joann Y

Village people

Enough with the fixed distance and fixed time events, I want a fixed calories burned race.

At the finish line there can be an assortment of calorie appopriate food. Instead of running the half marathon, people can run the four cheeseburger or whatever.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

A little later in the day, same dude goes and runs the same 5 mile course, but now it is 78 degrees outside and so his heart rate is higher than when he first ran. Still 9 m/m, but a higher HR. Still burns x calories.

I always hated word problems.

But if the dummy is running that many times in a day  he must be an ultra runner.  And

doesn't care how many calories burned per mile.

steph  

Wind does have an influence, but this influence is not proportional to HR. I just checked the internet.

Was it garmin.com?

Dave