Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

CatherineS

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have dealt with bursitis/IT band issues in addition the labrum and FAI. I had surgery about 3.5 months ago. Before surgery, I had pain in both the groin and the outside of my hip. The outer hip pain was one of my first symptoms back in 2012 when I first got my pain (yes, it's been over two years and I'm still not better....ugh).  After surgery, the groin pain is getting better (not 100% yet of course, but better) but the outer hip issue is still terrible. I have an extremely tight IT band which is tugging on my hip where it attaches. I stretch and foam roll literally 4 times a day and I've seen no change. I have a huge knot in the middle of my IT band that I can feel when I roll over it with the foam. Has anybody had anything similar to this? The doctor tells me it will just take time...but it's been 2 years and it hasn't loosened up! Also I have a new PT because the old one left and the new one is basically useless. I need a good massage and she doesn't press hard enough!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Got a cortisone shot into my right hip today.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Annoying thing (well, in an odd way) I had pretty much zero discomfort all this week.  The last few weeks my hip has been achy, and I feel it pinching when I walk quickly, gets sore when I sleep on it for more than 5 minutes, feels tight 100% of the time and when running.  Then I make the dr appt with Dr. Kelly at Hospital for Special Surgeries, and viola, no more pain.  They were trying to reproduce the pain today before the shot, couldn't do it.  Nothing hurt.

Still got the shot (if I didn't, I can bet I'd leave and it would instantly hurt and I'd be like WTF!).

He told me to take it easy for 48 hours but said I could race a 5k on Sunday and he laughed when I asked, and said that he's used to that kind of question since a LOT of what he sees are athletes and we just never give it a rest.

So we'll see what happens.

And FWIW, the cortisone shot was WAY less painful than expected.  It hurt less than the dye shot for my MRA a few months ago.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Catherine, I haven't had IT band problems myself, but I had a friend who had major issues for years.  Hers was solved by going to a chiro who does ART and Graston.  Might be worth a shot!

Dave, how are you feeling after a few days now?  How did the race go?

I think Oski is vacationing in Italy right now, so I guess I'll try to keep things in line around here in her absence. 

Running is dumb.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Hip feels good!  Or rather, it doesn't feel like anything (which is how it should be, right?!).

I gave a private open water swim lesson on Saturday (day after injection) in really rough waters and it cramped a little but that didn't last long and I wasn't doing any rigorous swimming.  The 5k, however, went great.

I decided not to race it with the double running stroller (which is what I've been doing lately) and just go out and see how it felt to run hard.  I was 2 or 3 seconds away from a PR (set last year, pre-hip fracture, labrum tear, etc.)!   I'm quite happy.

I have the Princeton 70.3 Ironman this weekend.   Planning on taking it easy, but I feel a lot more confident about just doing it now.

I ran pretty hard outside at lunch today, trying (successfully) to knock out a migraine and also just to see how my hip would feel.  A few weeks ago running that effort would have felt tight and achy.  Today it felt smooth and comfortable.

Also, I tried sleeping a little bit on my right hip last night and the night before.  No pain!  So, hopefully this will last :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Hip Redux

I think Oski is vacationing in Italy right now, so I guess I'll try to keep things in line around here in her absence. 

Back late last night, jet lag is a real bitch. 

Hip did fine on the trip - I got pretty tight towards the end of the flight over but on the way back I had extra leg room and was totally fine for the 8 hour flight.  Did lots of walking, no pain.   Can't wait to get started on my walk/run next week!  Smile

Hip Redux

So how's everyone doing?

Started the run/walk program.  Some tight hip flexors this morning but I have a massage scheduled this afternoon that should help Smile

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I somehow wound up running at a 6 hour race over the weekend.    Don't ask me how these things happen.  First I was going to volunteer.  Then I got talked into registering because there were good raffle prizes.  Then I got talked into walking a few laps.  Then the next thing I knew I was going to run a few laps.  Anyway...  I ended my day with 18.5 miles.  The loops were just slightly under 2 miles, so we walked a loop, ran a loop, walked a loop, ran a loop, etc.  After running 3 loops, I was supposed to stop running, but it turned out that running felt better than walking, so we did a few run/walk loops.  4.5 hours later, I called it quits because a) I had general leg fatigue setting in and b) it seemed smart to stop and c) there was beer waiting for me.

Amazingly, I had NO groin pain.  I did have some hip pain, but it was concentrated on the outside of my hip.  That area was also very stiff the next day, but now it feels just fine.  This all makes me optimistic about the future.  I'm starting to forget about my hip some days, which is awesome.

Running is dumb.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's a harda** approach to PT, MM!

JB52

So I've been doing rehab at the Vincera Institute and my PT there (Cara) got Dr. Salvo to write me a script for an MRI with constrast, which I am getting done tomorrow at 1:30pm. I'm excited and nervous at the same time because I really hope I only have a stress fracture and not labral tears but it'll be good to know for sure. Does the injection hurt at all? I've gotten it done on my shoulder last year and I barely felt a thing but the hip seems like it would require the needle to go deeper.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That's a harda** approach to PT, MM!

Well, yeah, you know...    My PT is probably gonna kill me.

Good luck today, JB!  Just don't look at the needle.  I didn't think it hurt -- it was more of a weird/pressure sensation.  Find out if you're getting a numbing agent in there as well.  I was supposed to go for a short run after mine.

Running is dumb.

JB52

Thanks Mandy! I just got lidocaine to help numb the area but it didn't really help, the injection was pretty painful. I even have pain now, the day after, feels like something is in my hip (like the tip of the needle or something). It only hurts where the injection was, did this ever happen to you?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I didn't really have any pain afterward, just that weird fullness feeling.  I know a lot of other people did have pain and lingering issues for a few days.  When do you get your results?

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

Thanks Mandy! I just got lidocaine to help numb the area but it didn't really help, the injection was pretty painful. I even have pain now, the day after, feels like something is in my hip (like the tip of the needle or something). It only hurts where the injection was, did this ever happen to you?

Still lurking.  

I had something similar to this when I got my MRI injection.  My hip hurt quite a bit the day of, and the following day.  In fact, it took almost four days for my hip to feel somewhat normal again afterwards.  Hopefully the pain clears up for you soon.

Hip Redux

I was really uncomfortable after the MRA.  It was fine during the procedure - just that full feeling.  But later that day, yuck.

adamturgy

hey everyone

happy to see all doing good!!!

i'm 5 month post op next week, already running, slowly and around 3-4 miles

still feel an ache in the end of the stride( when the operating leg is all the way back), sometimes even walking...

anyone else from the "older" post op feels it??? ( my pt sad its take time to this pain to go)

adam