27 minutes and counting (Read 834 times)

HermosaBoy

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

SILLY QUESTION !!!

What is ubuntu and why would I want to use it?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

mikeymike

Ubuntu is an African philosophy whose central theme loosely translates to English as "I am because we are."  It was the rally cry shouted by the Boston Celtics every time they broke huddle during the 2008 Championship season.  When Kendrick Perkins was traded to Oklahoma City earlier this season, it was described as the end of Ubuntu.

Runners run

mikeymike

Oh it's also a popular distribution of the Linux operating system.  That's probably what he meant.

Runners run

SILLY QUESTION !!!

What is ubuntu and why would I want to use it?

What is is? In this context is a linux distribution. That is a operating system and collection of software (and a mechanism for distributing more - kind of like what's come to be known as an "app store") based around the linux kernel.  

Why would you want to use it? It's free. Generally it's more reliable than windows and less susceptible to various attacks. It's also about open source software... you're free to inspect and modify the source code of the software you run.

"run" "2" "eat"

ubuntu is an OS (operating system).

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

HermosaBoy

Thanks -- so as a less than techie windows user, how much of a pain would it be to start using ubuntu?

Rob

xor

What is is? In this context is a linux distribution. That is a operating system and collection of software (and a mechanism for distributing more - kind of like what's come to be known as an "app store") based around the linux kernel.  

Why would you want to use it? It's free. Generally it's more reliable than windows and less susceptible to various attacks. It's also about open source software... you're free to inspect and modify the source code of the software you run.

And it is a complete non-starter if you are using a corporate-controlled machine that already has its own setup.

It may or may not be an option depending on what you want to accomplish.

It is not as easy as some people make it out to be.

And it is quite susceptible to attacks.  Especially BECAUSE it is open source.  It is less susceptible to existing attacks (and script kiddie exploits) because bad guys haven't been focused on fucking with unix systems in the past 15ish years.

(which is not me saying windows is better.  no sirree. )

xor

Thanks -- so as a less than techie windows user, how much of a pain would it be to start using ubuntu?

Not super hard compared to linux circa 2003.  HOWEVER, the pain is indirectly proportional to the pleasure you find in dinking with stuff.  It can be great big fun.  Or totally not.

mikeymike

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!

Runners run

The King of Beasts

I saw goats and a tractor on my lunch run today. I plan on running tomorrow.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

"run" "2" "eat"

if you see goats, can you call yourself a farmer?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

xor

I see dead people but I don't call myself a child actor.

HermosaBoy

I got a pen in my pocket.  Does that make me a writer?

Rob

"run" "2" "eat"

i thought you were just happy to see me.

xor

I got a pen in my pocket.  Does that make me a writer?

Whose penis it?