From Couch to Marathon in 7 months??? (Read 380 times)

nancylee

Hi all,

Just joined, and I just signed up for the Philly Marathon. Am I crazy?? Of course I am!! I am 51, overweight, haven't run in about 5 years. The last time I really worked out was 5 years ago, when I trained and completed an Olympic Distance Triathlon. I love to swim and run, but really hate biking. Plus I had plantar fasciatis, so I stopped running, and just started up again.

Groan. I forgot how hard running is in the beginning, and how good it feels after a few months. I am trying to remember that. So my goals are a few:

- train for the marathon without getting injured

- lose weight in the process

- get my cholesterol down - I gave up drinking and red wine almost 3 years ago, and my cholesterol level went up and my HDL level went down!!!

I know this is probably not smart, but I have always wanted to run a marathon, and I want to do it now to get my butt off the couch. I know I can do it as long as I don't get injured, as I don't have a Quit switch - I am very determined when I make up my mind. Are there any coaching or training programs out there that are trusted for Masters runners?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
    Nancy

I always go to the Hal Higdon plans first.  They are usually safe and he has many different ones for many different levels.  Hanson's plan is good too but maybe not for a couch to marathon.  I think you have plenty of time to train. Main thing being, stay SAFE and avoid over-training.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

nancylee

Thanks for the advice - I used his programs years ago, willl go revisit them. Thanks!

Nancy

Doc, my tooth hurts

You can attempt it, but temper your expectations. Going from not running in 5 years, be very very conservative with the goal of just finishing no matter how slow it may be. 7 months is a long time, but just be very smart about training.

runmomto3boys

I ran a marathon 7 months after I started running and it went really well.  I didn't work out at all as an adult either, so I came off the couch (I'm 35 years old), so to speak. I don't have a plan to recommend to you necessarily.  I was able to ramp up my mileage crazy fast (I DON'T advise that!), so I used Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning.

BruceD555

Yep, it's possible and Higdon will get you there IF you can stay healthy AND have realistic expectations.

Like runmomto3boys, I did the same kind of thing in about 6 months ... though her ability AND performance were/are remarkable.

Train smart ... race smarter.

runmomto3boys

Yep, it's possible and Higdon will get you there IF you can stay healthy AND have realistic expectations.

Like runmomto3boys, I did the same kind of thing in about 6 months ... though her ability AND performance were/are remarkable.

Well, I would say the same about you, Bruce!  Your NEXT one (coming up this weekend?!?!?!?!?) is going to be ridiculous!  Your training went so incredibly well - textbook - and your improvement has been nothing short of remarkable.  You are going to kill it!  Good luck to you!!!

BruceD555

Well, I would say the same about you, Bruce!  Your NEXT one (coming up this weekend?!?!?!?!?) is going to be ridiculous!  Your training went so incredibly well - textbook - and your improvement has been nothing short of remarkable.  You are going to kill it!  Good luck to you!!!

Yep, it's on Saturday. You're only a few weeks away from your spring goal race as well and I can't wait to see how you do. I'm banking on you hitting a HUGE PR and getting first day Boston registration in the bag. Good luck to you as well!

Train smart ... race smarter.

Nancy: I would not use runmom & Bruce as models - I know them both (in an online sense) and they are both freaks! (I say this with the utmost respect & admiration. And envy.)

I am not the best person to offer detailed advice, but I think the most important points are:

1. Build up your mileage very gradually

2. Do not worry about speed. Run as slowly as necessary to get the miles in, increasing mileage volume is the best thing you can do to be prepared.

Insufficient attention to these items is a common cause of injury.

Also, running is a good way to help lose weight, but training for a marathon may not be. It is hard to put the miles in & reduce calorie intake at the same time - you need to fuel yourself properly. I am eating all the friggin' time. Ideally I think you would want to lose the weight first, then start a marathon training program.

Good luck!

Dave

carlos49er

I agree with Dave, trying to lose weight and training for a big event could be challenging. Granted weight loss will come with running. If your not mindful of your nutrition, fatigue could hamper your efforts. I recommend seeing a nutritionist and using something like the "BodyBUGG" to maximize weightloss but still turnout comfortable runs. Good luck!!

A friend just lost 65lb in 6 months. He just walked regularly and ate sensibly. His goal is a marathon too. He started running a few weeks ago and signed up a 10K.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Mmmmm...beer

I think you can do it Nancy.  Given your background, you already know how to train and what to expect.  I went from not being able to run a mile, to running an unofficial marathon (26.25 mile long run) in 9 months, and that was without even focusing on that distance, it was just a long run that got out of hand.  I was also dropping weight at the time.  As someone mentioned, it's a fine line to walk when you're training, because if you don't eat enough your training suffers.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

nancylee

Thank you all for your advice - you are all so nice and positive! Yes, I know how to train: long, slow miles. Which doesn't help lose weight, I know. I didn't lose weight when I was training for the triathlon, but I wasn't running that much either. Ideally, getting my butt out there will get the pounds off, which will make,the running easier. I am actually about 18 pounds lighter than when I did the tris, but I still need to lose 20 more pounds, which I gained when I quit smoking 9 years ago.

I printed out the Higdon plan, and am going to,start with the walk/run stuff. I have been walking for,the past few months, just 3 times a week, but. Need to be dedicated fain, for my health. Thank you again, for giving me hope!

nancy

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

That's pretty much what I did.  Starting running in September or so and my first marathon is this Saturday.  I think you can do it!

nancylee

That's great, Buchy!! Thanks for sharing your experience - it is very encouraging!

Nancy