My first Marathon RR - Flying Pig in Cincinnati (Read 204 times)

Awesome race, Nathan!  Great execution and time on your first marathon.  I really enjoyed reading the RR.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

mlouis

Nice job, Nathan!    If I could do anywhere near as well as you when I get around to doing my first full marathon I will be out of my head happy.

BTW, That tall, goofy looking dude with the dark blue hat in the center of your first two pics is me.   I only ran the Half but i guess we must have ran pretty close to each other up to the split.

npaden

Thanks for all the comments everyone.   It really was a very good experience.

I really think that the information and input that I received from folks here on runningahead helped flatten my learning curve and are a big part of the reason that I was able to have such a good experience for my first marathon.

Thanks for all the help and advice over the last year!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Great race report.  I almost read every word Smile.

Cheers!
          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I just finished reading your race report and really enjoyed it........Great report and an every better race....

Champions are made when no one is watching

npaden

In the third picture down, please tell me your right leg is forward and that foot is about to hit the ground with a clean mid-foot strike.  And that you're wearing Saucony shoes.  My OCD demands it.

I used RunKeeper for a long, long time and still do (for live tracking)...but I think you'll find if you invest in a GPS watch, they are indeed MUCH more accurate.  I think RK uses cell towers as well as GPS to triangulate its position, and the fluctuation can throw it off.  I just know that when I do track work, RK has me cutting across the infield at almost every other lap and sometimes, apparently teleporting into the field across the road.  My Garmin not only shows me turning left over and over like a good boy with respect for the laws of physics, but also shows lane changes.

Last thing before I go...is that camo hat moisture-wicking, and if so, where can I get one?  I'm not a hunter, but it would really blend in here in East Texas! Big grin

mab411 - It almost looks like we were doing a chorus line routine doesn't it?  I was wearing skechers though so it would have ruined your mental image.

I may have to switch to a GPS watch, on straight open routes (like I run out on the country roads around my house) it works fine, just not on anything with lots of turns and tree cover.

The hat is made out of the same material as technical running shirts and stuff.   Really comfortable.  You can buy it here - http://www.blackovis.com/core4element-tek-ball-cap

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Great race .. and great report.  Gotta like it when a plan comes together!

Tim 

Coastal

Great report.  You ran an awesome race.. Glad you had a good time.

Great race Nathan.

I enjoyed every word of your report.  For a first marathon, you completely nailed it.  I'm not sure how many people can say that.

I loved that third picture!

I'm curious as to how you calculate ideal HR for each split.  Is there a good formula?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

NHLA

Congrats. Great first marathon.

npaden

Thanks again for the comments everyone.  I really did feel like I had a huge advantage for my first marathon based on the information I learned here.  I also asked for some pace advice on the RWOL marathon forum and ilanarama gives really helpful advice over there on a regular basis.  I think the key is not going out too fast, but that's tough to know since it is a big unknown when it is all said and done.  I also think the Hansons Plan is pretty good.  I followed the plan and hit the key workouts and the end result was beating my goal time by a couple minutes.  I had added a couple miles to their long run to get to 18, but I think it was strictly a mental thing, I'm sure if I had stuck to the 16 mile long run that they have in the plan I would have done just as well.  The other key ingredient was that the weather was very close to perfect for me.  If it had been sunny and warm it could have easily added 5 or 10 minutes to my time.

I'm curious as to how you calculate ideal HR for each split.  Is there a good formula?

I used the MARCO Marathon Calculator - http://feelrace.com/marathonperfect.html  Also something that I was referred to here on runningahead.  I didn't follow it to the letter, but it was helpful and let me know where my target HR should be and if I was high or low.  I would recommend using your actual max HR instead of using the 220 - age formula though if you want it to be as accurate as possible.  That calculator also predicted a 3:49:23 based on my last half marathon that I ran a month ago so it was pretty good on that as well.

When it was all said and done the calculator said my average HR should end up at 166 and my average HR ended up at 165 so it was pretty darn close when it was all said and done.

Nice report!  (I was there for the Half)  Congrats!  and thanx for sharing...   Big grin

Tammarin.....

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Thanks for the report Nathan. Congrats on meeting (and exceeding) your goal. I was there and don't remember nearly as much as you have.