Fueling with food sensitivities (Read 108 times)

I've had gut issues for 2 years now and have been trying to figure out what is causing it.  Mostly affects me during my runs.  I just got the results of food sensitivity testing and I'm highly sensitive to oats, cane sugar, yeast, egg and whey.  So with these limitations I'm at a loss as to what to use to fuel for my marathons and long runs.  Tomorrow morning before my 20 miler I'm going to try a sweet potato.  I normally use Sport Beans during my runs but they have sugar in them.  So I'm looking for ideas for pre-run and during the run.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm gluten intolerant and also lactose intolerant.  Brown rice and corn grits (with water) are staples for me, as are sweet potatoes.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm beginning to like the little single-serving plastic fruit cups. Not sure if they contain cane sugar.

Do you really need sugar for your long runs? I ran a marathon last weekend with no Gu or power drinks because my stomach was not feeling right.  My time was slow because I went out too fast, not because of bonking.

I no longer use power drinks on my long runs after I found that I did not need the sugar.  I do like to eat a can of canned fruit after a long run.  I try to get the fruit packed in fruit juice with "no sugar added".

GinnyinPA

Do honey Stingers have cane sugar?  I think some of the energy bars don't use cane sugar.  You might try raisins or figs or home made fig bars or bananas.

Phenixsnow1

I've never tried it but I've heard good things about chocolate #9. Well i heard its kind of lumpy and very chocolaty but effective. It think its just agave and cocoa. no milk.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  As to whether or not I really need sugar?  Not necessarily sugar but I need something to fuel.  Used to do Gu's but they mess with my stomach.  Tried raisins for a 20 miler on Saturday and they didn't seem to do anything for me for energy.  I was going to buy some honey packets and see how those work.

Some people use those applesauce/fruit purée pouches instead of gels. Never tried it myself, but it doesn't sound bad.

JanaLamb

I just started eating organic yogurt cup after a run. For my experience, I'm good with it.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Christirei

dates would be another good option. you can make your own "lara bars" with whatever nuts/dried fruits you can tolerate and blend it into the dates. then form into balls or whatever shape makes it easy for you to carry them

Pre-run, I love banana and peanut or sunflower butter.  Maranatha has a sunflower butter with no added sugar.  Honey packets sound like a good replacement for gu.

JanaLamb

Fruits! You can either have fresh ones or dried ones. Maybe try rice, it's got lots of nutrients and it's easy to digest for me, or corn. Potatoes are heavy, too. Smile

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Fruits! You can either have fresh ones or dried ones. Maybe try rice, it's got lots of nutrients and it's easy to digest for me, or corn. Potatoes are heavy, too. Smile

Howzabout Spam prior to a run?

beat

Break on through

Howzabout Spam prior to a run?

How so?

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."