Mental Illness (Read 131 times)

This morning, I witnessed a Facebook suicide note that led to 100+ responses, prayers, and updates.

It was awful, and I followed the posts for 2+ hours until a family member confirmed what was feared by many.
    I did not know the person, but the person was a friend of a couple of my friends within the running community.

The person was a runner and a running coach, and I'm sure there are people here that know him (through running clubs and organizations).

I'm not going to mention his name, as it's all been very recent.  It was very disturbing to read the account and the updates.

Very sad.

I hope running is therapeutic for y'all, and if you have challenges that aren't being addressed through your running activity, seek help.

Sincerely,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xhristopher

Society doesn't talk about suicide enough. People need to know it's ok to ask for help and where to find it.

Fanilow

It's so sad to see someone lose hope and think there is no way out.

I work at a University and we are offering suicide prevention training to the staff and professors in an effort to help the students (or anyone else for that matter). We recently had two student commit suicide, which promted the training. Thing is, I still haven't heard anything about those two students. No email, not in the newsletter, no vigils being held. It's too quiet.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thing is, I still haven't heard anything about those two students. No email, not in the newsletter, no vigils being held. It's too quiet.

Probably because of the copy-cat effect that weirdly follows public notification of suicide.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm so sorry to hear that, KerCan. Both of my sons (18 and 21) are mentally ill.  They have each been suicidal at different times the past 2 1/2 years.  It is terrifying.  Their doctor tells us we cannot even imagine how horrible life can be for them.  My older son was hospitalized for more than 30 days in the spring.  Part of the time, he was catatonic.  Right now, both guys are doing well, but I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Neither of them uses drugs (according to their doctor), and they cooperate in their treatment.

The scary thing is how hard it is to prevent suicide.  I read a book by Kay Redfield Jamison called, "Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide."  She is a counselor who suffers from bipolar disorder.  In the book, she describes a pact that she and another ill counselor made.  They promised that if either of them seriously thought about committing suicide, he or she would contact the other immediately.  A few months after that, her friend killed himself.  I think what's hard to understand is that mentally ill people can hurt SO MUCH that death feels like a viable alternative.  They are not being selfish.  They're just trying to make the pain stop.

obiebyke

Terrible news. I'm so sorry. Reading that on Facebook would have been traumatizing for me.

I work at a college, too, and we had a big public event for Suicide Awareness Month and we're having two staff trainings on how to identify and help students in distress, put on by our counselors.

But it's not enough. It's never enough.

MTA: I hope your sons feel better, Teresa. Your post really touched me. Take care of yourself.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I read a book by Kay Redfield Jamison called, "Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide."  

Excellent book. Though, I believe she is a psychologist.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

keeponrunning

So sorry to hear of this.  Suicide is a scary topic but one that must be addressed.  The only ones who think there is no longer a stigma don't suffer or know someone who does.  I suffer from it and so many I know I will not tell due to the stigma.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I don't know this person, but this stuff hits me hard.

This person happened to be a marathon maniac based on some pictures I've seen on his website.  He's done many marathons and a few ultras.  I saw that he was very active in a race this past weekend.

Theresa, thank you for sharing, and I hope you and your family do well.

On Saturday, I happened to watch a sermon online by pastor Rick Warren (author of The Purpose Driven Life) who was preaching for the 1st time since his son committed suicide a few months ago.  He spoke about mental illness and how it affected his son, and how it'll impact the rest of his life.  I wasn't able to watch the whole 80 minute message, but I did enjoy the first 15 minutes or so.  I plan to watch the rest over the next few days.

My prayers go out to all who struggle with mental illness or know someone struggling or know someone who had struggled with mental illness.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life