race report-Moe's Better Half-San Marcos, Tx (Read 384 times)

This was a challenging course as advertised made more difficult by windy and warm conditions. I had been doing a hard training run on a hilly 10 mile course weekly for the last six weeks in preparation for this race. I wanted to beat my PR set on a flat course in Corpus Christi, Tx in December. I ran that race in 1:36:57. The website described the course as rolling hills with a rather nasty one at mile three. It was. I had hoped to average a 7:15 pace but realized after two miles that sticking to that plan would probably not be wise. I decided to stay at LT HR-3to5 for the first 7-10 then push above in the last miles. Not knowing the course, I was concerned about the hills in the latter miles. We were into the wind the first 6-7 miles and it was rough. The second half of the race was easier in respect to the hills. I kept holding some back expecting worse hills that never came. I finished in 1:36:06 and felt like I probably could have done better. Now I know the course and plan on doing it next year in preparation for Boston. This is a great race in central texas that is well organized. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a tough half at this time of year.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

Len

Damn Yankee

Really nice race crb! Congratulations on your PR. I love San Marcos, my family and I stayed there last August on our way home from San Antonio. It hurt my wallet, by I remember sitting at the hotel pool with a beer watching thousands of dove fly over as sunset approached. We don't see them like that up here in NE Texas. You're having a great year so far..

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job! I can't believe it's already warm there, even though I grew up in central Texas. It does sound very challenging. My HM time will probably be an hour slower than yours, and I'll be on a flat course! I love San Marcos, too! Tubing on the Guadalupe, drinking beer the entire way, is hard to beat. Maybe I will take my running partner there next month while we're visiting Austin. I'm going to love showiner her around, since she's never been in Texas before. She will be surprised that it's not all flat.

The Greatest of All Time

I used to ride my bike from Austin through San Marcos on my way out to the hill country. I always stopped at the convienent store across the street from the football stadium to reload my water bottles. There is definitely some hills in that area. Like teresadfp, I floated a couple of times on the Guadalupe, drinking beer from a floating cooler in like 110 degree sun...ouch! Ah...I really miss Texas! Great race results, well done!!!!
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            You're fast! Great job.
            Like teresadfp, I floated a couple of times on the Guadalupe, drinking beer from a floating cooler in like 110 degree sun..
            Minus the drinking and other substances part, I went down that river 4 days in a row and finally got tired of all the craziness. Glad I did not stay down there for 9 days like some of my friends did.

Vim