Leftover Turkey (Read 326 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What do you do with it?  We generally make soup (bird, barley, wild rice, carrots, celery, onion, garlic).  I'm envious of people who do more creative things with their leftovers from Thanksgiving...but I live with the world's 2 pickiest eaters.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That sounds pretty tasty. We usually just eat it as is or make a sandwich. Sometimes my wife will use it in a jambalaya (kinda like fried rice).

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

We eat as is or sandwich the day after.  Today it is soup much as zoomy described only with brown rice.

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We eat as is or sandwich the day after.

After yesterday I am totally burned-out on turkey.  Good thing the gravy's gone.  I think I might freeze the leftover potatoes.

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Luckily I got to send a lot of stuff home with my two "boys".   Just enough left here to make

soup.  Wish that I'd kept a couple more pieces of pie thoughBig grin

steph  

it just begs to be curry-fied for me - adjusting the spice levels accordingly for the fussy ones.  shredded, it could be a chicken substitute in a chinese chicken and noodle soup recipe.  maybe turkey, cheese and cranberry parcels if you've got filo handy in the fridge/freezer.  as it's pre-cooked, it could be spiced & diced to compliment your favourite home-made pizzas toppings.

i regularly enjoy (mainly cos they're healthy, cheap, and always seem to be available) pan-fried turkey breast steaks - bit of seasoning, spray of oil & they're good to go in 7-8mins (served normally with spuds and veg).

angry turkey

om nom nom "gobble-gobble" nom nom

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

it just begs to be curry-fied for me - adjusting the spice levels accordingly for the fussy ones.  shredded, it could be a chicken substitute in a chinese chicken and noodle soup recipe.  maybe turkey, cheese and cranberry parcels if you've got filo handy in the fridge/freezer.  as it's pre-cooked, it could be spiced & diced to compliment your favourite home-made pizzas toppings.

Oh, these all sound amazing!  I especially like the filo dough suggestion.

~ Sarah Kay

I just finished making soup, too. I made stock from our smoked turkey bones, and sautéed onion & garlic in some butter. Also steamed some zucchini and yellow squash, and puréed those along with the leftover mashed potatoes. I added most of the leftover turkey pieces, and it's in the slow cooker to be ready for lunch.
                  TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Supposed to be dieting and now I'm hungry again.  Damn.

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

smoked turkey bones

Wait...was the turkey smoked or did you smoke the bones? Confused

Smoking the bones...sounds vaguely illegal. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Wait...was the turkey smoked or did you smoke the bones? Confused

Smoking the bones...sounds vaguely illegal. Tongue

Ha! Yeah, the turkey was smoked. We always get a smoked one from our meat market/smokehouse.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! Yeah, the turkey was smoked. We always get a smoked one from our meat market/smokehouse.

I'm not sure if I would like that.  I don't generally like smoked flavor, with the exception of smoked fish or jerky.  Even then, I tend to prefer teriyaki jerky to traditional flavor.  I've still never had deep-fried turkey.  Now THAT is something that totally intrigues me (except for the part where people burn their houses down because they don't plan for liquid displacement and they cook it in their garage).

~ Sarah Kay

Soup (like zoomie said).

BBQ turkey pizza, homemade crust.

Turkey hash for breakfast.

Anything left gets shredded for burritos. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

Around here, it's super common to smoke meat. In fact, that's what Texas BBQ really is--smoked meat--mainly brisket. We're in the minority, at least in our circle of friends, in that we don't have our own smoker in the backyard.