What time goal should I have? (Read 516 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Guys and girls, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm about 3 months into a 18mth training plan for a 24hr ultra in Oct 09. I have a 30km trail race planned for 10 Aug, a trail marathon in Oct, a 55 mile ultra in Feb 09 and a 12hr track race in Aug 09. My problem is this. I have had real dramas with my shins (shin splints of some sort, and most probably a minor stress fracture in the left shin). This has meant that I have been reduced to cross training for the last 3 - 4 weeks. I have now tried the odd run (on a treadmill) and my shins are a little sore but nothing which would stop me running. I had hoped to run the 30km in 2:30.... should I amend my goal time? Stick with it? Bin it and just enjoy the race? I also have the option of dropping the distance. The event is a trail marathon with 30km, 20km and 10km races within it, so I could feasibly drop down to the 20km or even the 10km (really don't want to do that!). Anyone got any advice? Had similar problems? Cheers

Scout7

Don't worry about the time goal. Go out and do the best you can.
      mikeymike

I don't have a lot of experience with your situation bit with your lack of mileage I'd say bag any time goal and just run the 30k at an easy pace.

Runners run

Face it. You know you don't want to drop the distance down at all. None of us ever do. I would go with Scout and Mikey's advice. And then I would look into ways to fix my shin problems.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I would do what Bonkin said, but in reverse. Figure out what is wrong with your shins and fix that first. Personally, I can't enter a race planning to run at an easy pace. It just never works out that way. But thats just me.
            Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
            Purdey

Self anointed title

Fixed. I'm going to see how I'm feeling at the 20km turn off - if all is good then I'll continue for the 30km but not worry about the time. Cheers guys. I think I knew that, but just wanted to hear if from somebody else!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well. I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and went for the 20km trail event instead. 1.5 miles from the finish I started to kick hard. I (and about 6 others) were then sent the wrong way, adding about 1.6 miles to the total distance.... Finished with 1:49:00 for 14.1 miles on some pretty wet and slippery trails. I reckon that was about 7:44/mile pace - so quite happy with the result. This morning my legs are thanking me for not going for the 30km, especially given the lack of training miles due to injury. Next time goal question: given that performance... can I make a sub 4hr trail marathon on 04 Oct? (On a very, very hilly off-road course). I reckon that with some good 20+ mile long runs between now and then, I should be ok.