Fargo 1/2 Marathon finish (Read 1032 times)

Last year the marathon first, and on 3:40-something pace (at the time) we came crashing into the back of the HM pack when the courses merged together somewhere around mile 17.  They had cones that were supposed to be the "fast lane" but it was not enforced, and even if it was, using the coned area often meant taking the turns (and there were a lot of them) on the far side of the road. 

Seem like they just can't get it right up there.  The crowds were great, but the organization was a mess.  It was so crowded in the dome at the end that we literally had to come to a screeching halt right after crossing because of the mass of people.  Maybe they have changed that, but there were lots of spectators down on the floor and even in the food lines. I wiggled my way to the first table (took at least 20 minutes) and grabbed a chocolate milk and some cookies and got the hell out of there.

Too bad, but I won't run there again.

"I aim to misbehave."

HermosaBoy

Last year the marathon first, and on 3:40-something pace (at the time) we came crashing into the back of the HM pack when the courses merged together somewhere around mile 17.  They had cones that were supposed to be the "fast lane" but it was not enforced, and even if it was, using the coned area often meant taking the turns (and there were a lot of them) on the far side of the road. 

Seem like they just can't get it right up there.  The crowds were great, but the organization was a mess.  It was so crowded in the dome at the end that we literally had to come to a screeching halt right after crossing because of the mass of people.  Maybe they have changed that, but there were lots of spectators down on the floor and even in the food lines. I wiggled my way to the first table (took at least 20 minutes) and grabbed a chocolate milk and some cookies and got the hell out of there.

Too bad, but I won't run there again.

Well, I ran 3:06 and didn't have any issues with running into the back of the pack.  The cones were put to use and I heard volunteers a couple of times telling people -- Half Marathon to the Left.

When I finished, it was actually VERY clear (almost lonely) crossing on the marathon side.  Very easy to get a medal, food and my girlfriend found me on the floor almost immediately.

Looks like they made corrections between the time that the SNAFU happened for 1st/2nd in the half and the time that I finished.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

It is hard to tell from the angle and range of the camera, but it appears possible that the eventual 2nd place runner thought he had a clear line to snake past them on the left, but then when one of the women heard the commotion and glanced over her shoulder both of the women then moved left in an apparent attempt to let them by on their right.  So it appears as soon as the women became aware of what was going on they tried to do the right thing...it just so happened that the guy was targeting the open space to their left to get by and they closed it up.

That's how it appeared to me, too.  But I wonder how all-out Carlson was going as he had his arm in the air, celebrating, with some real estate still to cover and Moore closing fast.  Still, it only would've taken a volunteer or two with loud voices to eliminate that issue.

I'm not elite speed, but at about 7mi into last month's Tar Heel Ten-Miler (~2750 runners), we slightly-sub-7min/mi runners joined with the back end of the 4-Miler field (the walking end of ~750 people).  As we hit a greenway bike-path with twists and turns.  Yuck.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

That's how it appeared to me, too.  But I wonder how all-out Carlson was going as he had his arm in the air, celebrating, with some real estate still to cover and Moore closing fast. 

This is another issue in events that mix up two races.  It is very hard to keep track of where you are.  I don't think he even knew the guy who beat him was there; the threat was far too close to be celebrating like that if he was aware of it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

if they didn't have the same finish perhaps he would have heard the guy comming? 

Brandy

booyah

looks like you ran a great race.  congrats. 

if they didn't have the same finish perhaps he would have heard the guy comming? 

Wonder what Joe Moore thinks about the whole thing... 

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

Am I doing this right?

Wonder what Joe Moore thinks about the whole thing... 

I think that is a genuine, humble response.  It really sounds like he is at odds with his win.  Although I would not be giving any of the prize money away.  I think he earned it.  2nd place definitely celebrated a little early.  Yes, the ladies were in the way, but he didn't exactly finish strong.

No excuses....

"My restructuring of the finish lead me to the conclusion that even though he had slowed into the finish and didn't know I was bearing down, if the crowd of people was not present, he would have felt me coming, or heard me coming (I was probably grunting a lot), and would have been able to at least put in a few quick strides at the end to hold me off."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Both runners seem genuine and humble.  It was just plain awkward.