two questions track workouts on treadmill and best intervals to prepare for tough mudder (Read 1135 times)

dallasboycows

ok, I realize I may not get a lot of help because of some of my previous posts but it can't hurt to ask. 

1.  It is SOOO hot outside I've moved my track workouts indoors.  I don't have a 1% incline or anything but I have sped up my times to adjust for the difference in difficulty.  Now, I know it isn't the same running on the treadmill but I really do think I'm getting not only a better workout but learning to pace very good by mixing in a few workouts inside. And my stride seems to be lengthening. The main reason I'm moving my workouts indoors are because of the heat and hip soreness/foot soreness which this seems to alleviate. What are your opinions on treadmill workouts. 

I've read about several runners exclusively using the treadmill and setting PR's, World Records and such.  http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=300125.  

2.  I've been training like I'm going to run a 5k-10K.  I have the tough mudder in October which is 10 miles and 19 obstacles.  I'm thinking that a lot of these obstacles are going push me into an anaerobic state.  I'm not sure how this will affect me.  I ran a short test run the other day at 15k pace and through in a few anaerobic obstacles and it put a serious hurt on my running after that slowing me down about a minute a mile.  The obstacles are probably about every half mile to mile or shorter so I'm thinking there will be a lot of anaerobic.  I could be wrong though.  I've been doing 400's with rest = to half the run and 800's with 1:30 rest.  I was going to start doing 1.5-2 miles repeats with recovery jog but I'm wandering if I need to be doing something else since I'm not truly running a 10 miles run but more a series of repeats with anaerobic activity in between.

I would appreciate any advice.  Sorry for any comments I've made to anyone in the past.  I'm stubborn.  I haven't posted in a while and am ready to learn from those with more knowledge if they are willing to share.  If not, I understand.Cool

I do the majority of my workouts (probably 95 out of last 100 runs) on the treadmill indoors at the gym. 

I have no idea whether it's better or worse, or equal.  In fact, I don't really care since it works for me, and I'm able to run at the pace I want when I'm not on a treadmill and when I'm racing.

I don't use any incline.

There may be some that will offer the truth as it relates to the workout being better, worse, or the same, but that's doesn't have to change the fact that at this time of the year, you've chosen to move your running to the gym.

When it's hot, feel free to run indoors if you want at whatever pace you want with whatever incline you want.  It's a good workout, and most workouts are better than not working out.  So, enjoy what you do.

Thanks for the apology (not that I was offended by your previous dialogues).  I think you become wiser by listening more than speaking. 

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I think given the choice, outside is always better. But, as you said there have been some great performances turned in by runners that trained a lot on the Treadmill.   

Sure, it's not the same as running outside, but in the heat you can't expect to get the same quality workout as you could indoor in a controlled climate.  So, the quality you may lose by running on a TM is not as bad as suffering in the heat. 

Since I feel like I'm cheating a bit when running on my TM, I minimally set the incline to 2%.  And, I agree with you about the better pacing. 

Feeling the growl again

I think given the choice, outside is always better. 

Sure, it's not the same as running outside, but in the heat you can't expect to get the same quality workout as you could indoor in a controlled climate.  So, the quality you may lose by running on a TM is not as bad as suffering in the heat. 

This appears a bit contradictory...if you can't get the same quality, what is the reason outdoors is always better?  Don't get me wrong, I like outdoors better, but there are situation I'm doing myself a favor running indoors.

I have found treadmill running to be a big help in my running.  Not because it is better, or because I can do better workouts there.  Quite the opposite; my machine stopped going to 12mph and now only does 11mph so I can no longer do real intervals on it, when I am in shape tempo runs are not in the cards either.  The reason is that it allows me to get more miles, on less recovery, than slogging through the heat and humidity.

If you're going to race in the heat, you need to do a lot of running in the heat to prepare for it.  But if you're just trying to keep conditioning and get some training until it cools off and you can train easily outside, the treadmill is a good option to mix in.

For the tough mudder, it's probably not as ideal.  The two things you likely need are a) overall aerobic conditioning, and b) strength.  If I had to throw in a third thing I'd say practice running on slick/uneven/crappy surfaces.  You won't get that last one on the treadmill.  You can get "B", at least sort of, if you do intervals at very high inclines.  If your treadmill has no incline you are screwed.  

However, it will help with your overall conditioning and that is #1.

As for the obstacles, this is where a tough mudder differs from a regular race.  The better overall shape you are in (thank Mr. Treadmill) the better you will do, period.  But you won't be able to do much race-specific training there.  It probably doesn't even go fast enough to get short spurts of really high-speed effort in to half-heartedly simulate the obstacles.  What would be REALLY ideal is if your treadmill is near some weightlifting equipment.  Run at a fast but comfortable pace...then take it up to say 5K race pace for 2-3min.  Jump off, pound out say 20 reps of comfortable weight at high speed on the bench or whatever is available.   The goal is to outstrip your breathing and get a burn going.  Then immediately jump back on the treadmill at a slower speed, work back up to speed and repeat.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Treadmill training has phenomenal advantages over outdoor miles. Point one, is that it requres much greater balance control on the machine than outdoors.

Running outside allows for momentum to influence your balance skills. On a treadmill, running in place removes momentum as a balance force. My joke with clients is to how many people walk or run on treadmills needing to hold on to the side rails for balance. They never approach the machines using walkers.

The machines are also constants, so that helps build endurance more efficiently than outdoors.

As to lacking incline, why not build your own incline platform for your machine?

For indoor training, incline is more important than speed. 

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

#artbydmcbride

Treadmill training has phenomenal advantages over outdoor miles. Point one, is that it requres much greater balance control on the machine than outdoors.

Running outside allows for momentum to influence your balance skills. On a treadmill, running in place removes momentum as a balance force. My joke with clients is to how many people walk or run on treadmills needing to hold on to the side rails for balance. They never approach the machines using walkers.

That's because you aren't swinging your arms correctly! 

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

"Correctly"???????

An efficient runner shouldn't need to swing their arms at all.

For reference, I can walk at 8.5MPH with no arm swing at all.

How do you compare?

What's your fastest walking speed with or without arm swing?

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Do you have any videos of you walking 8.5 mph without swinging your arms?

caveat: video that runs for longer than 3 minutes.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Why do you care?

If you studied T-Rex and how ostriches run, you'd be able to do it as well...

xor

If you had any real desire to get people to actually listen to what you say, then you'd try to back up some of your more outlandish claims. The best way to back up a claim of being able to walk 8.5 mph without moving your arms would be to show us.

I care because the dude who started this thread asked a sincere question. 

Plus I really REALLY want to see you walk without swinging your arms.

xor

[At Monk's. Elaine and Sam.]

Sam: Elaine, am I crazy? I just get the feeling that Dugan and the others are making fun of me all the time.

Elaine: Well, You might wanna think about...maybe, eh...moving your arms a little when you walk.

Sam: My arms?

Elaine: You know, sort of swing them, so you're not lurching around like a caveman.

Sam: I'm a caveman?

Elaine: No no no no, it's just...

Sam: Everybody told what a catty shrew you are. You're horrible!

(weird note: the place I copied this from had shrew worded as "shrude")

sport jester

Biomimeticist

And I gave him a sincere answer.

An efficient runner shouldn't need to swing their arms at all.

Now that would look pretty funny.  Kind of like carrying invisible suitcases (from seinfeld, right srl?)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Its simple biology.

We call it a counterbalance arm swing don't we?

So if your running biomechanics in your legs were in perfect balance, then you wouldn't need to waste 15% of your energy consumption with something that applies no force in forward motion.

dallasboycows

my treadmill inclines.  i'm at the gym.  and there is also an 8 mile trail in the neighboring city that has stations every half mile or mile someone told me like stepups, pushups, pullups, etc.  I might give that a go.  I'm in great shape strength wise and can do 20 pullups etc. etc. Running wise I'm up to a 9 mile long run with 2 months to go so that should improve, a 4 mile pace run with mile warmup and cool down, an approximate 18:30 maybe faster 5k.

But I can tell combining the two is something my body isn't used to because as I said I tried running for about 5 miles and stopping and doing various simulated stations and it really took something fierce outta me run wise.  I think I'll try the idea of setting up something by the treadmill and stopping every so often and doing that.  btw spaniel.  you can get a faster treadmill.

32mph....  if you can do intervals on that then you are from another planet.  LOL.  Not so sure this treadmill is cheap though or for sale. Yeah, I'm not even in top shape and it almost is too slow for my short intervals i.e. 100/200m although I don't do those often.  400 meters I'm not too too far off.  Treadmill tops out at 5:00 mins per mile.

http://www.igotfast.com/worldsfastesttreadmill