best way to estimate max hr? (Read 102 times)

CSP

I've been using polar watches for quite a while (used to do a lot of bicycling).  However, I'm not convinced that my max heart rate is being estimated correctly in the watch's software nor do I think that the mathematical formulas fit me--and I'm pretty sure I have a much different max for bicycling vs running.

Any other good methods of estimating max heart rate?

(Has anyone had the treadmill test for heart rate and/or vo2 max? Where would an athletic nobody get one done?)

#artbydmcbride

Wear a monitor and run up a steep hill as fast as you can.   No, faster!  Okay, there, what it said at the top of the hill.  Maybe add 5 beats to that.

Max heart rate should be the same max, whether biking or running.

http://vo2maxtesting.net/

Runners run

a great way to get your max heart rate is to do a a bunch of really hard running whlie wearing a HRM. I've found when I really exert myself in a 5K, including going all out the last 1/2 mile, my heart rate is at it's practical max.

No clue on  the vo2 max test. I had it done about 30 years ago as part of a team, but our coach had connections with a local hospital. I hated that test, and I hated the results even more.

Wear a monitor and run up a steep hill as fast as you can.   No, faster!  Okay, there, what it said at the top of the hill.  Maybe add 5 beats to that.

Max heart rate should be the same max, whether biking or running.

http://vo2maxtesting.net/

I don't think "just once" will do it. HR normally lags effort... that is just, because you're sucking wind at the top of the hill doesn't mean your heart rate has maxed out yet.

zonykel

I've been using polar watches for quite a while (used to do a lot of bicycling).  However, I'm not convinced that my max heart rate is being estimated correctly in the watch's software nor do I think that the mathematical formulas fit me--and I'm pretty sure I have a much different max for bicycling vs running.

Any other good methods of estimating max heart rate?

(Has anyone had the treadmill test for heart rate and/or vo2 max? Where would an athletic nobody get one done?)

The basic question is why you want to find out your HRmax. I'm assuming it is because you're trying to set up training zones. If that is the case, then finding our your HR at Lactate Threshold may be easier, and it can also help you establish training zones

In any case, the book "Heart Rate Training" by Benson and Connolly describe a couple of methods on how to calculate HRmax. I don't recall off the top of my head exactly what they involved, but I think one of them had you do uphill repeats. I'll look up the details later.

There is another book called "Total Heart Rate Training" by Friel. He subscribes to training zones based on HR for lactate threshold. Here is a quick description on the 30-minute test

Depending on where you live, you can look up VO2max testing. I had it done once. It cost around $200. It was interesting info, but quite frankly, you don't need all the details provided by this test.

Agree that you might want to consider LT HR rather than HRmax. Most training will be largely aerobic anyway so why worry about HRmax. Talk test also works well for many as a double check.

If you really want to estimate HRmax, I'd look at an uphill finish on a hard 5k with someone on your heels that you don't want to pass you. Many people won't get close to HRmax on their own. Some university sports centers or health clubs may have testing.

The mathematical formulas are frequently off.

Generally, the HRmax for cycling should be lower than that for running. However, when I used to mtn bike, I could get it darn close to my running HRmax - on an uphill where I really, really did not want to stop. I couldn't do that on the flat.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog