Ads-n-stuff. (Read 753 times)

Jeffrey

Hi. This is in regard to the RUN HARD thread in Racing. Rather than respond to the thread over there, I thought I would start one here in Suggestions. Not a big deal for one user to pop into "Racing" and suggest to "check it out for yourself". Harmless right? But what happens to the User Experience if it becomes a daily occurrence by more than one user? Perhaps we'dl all be forced to spend time filtering through the ad-stuff to find relevant running-content on the boards. Here's a suggestion, you could create a new Sub-Category within "All About Running" (or if you have a greater need, create a 3rd Category type) for folks to post advertisements, old shoes for sale, wristbands, custom sweatsocks, garmins, whatever. That way I, or any other RunningAHEAD.com user, can choose to sift through those threads within an appropriately titled category. I go to the ad related content -- rather than sifting through the "ads" within "Racing". Nevertheless, you can't stop someone from creating an "ad" style New Topic within a Sub-Category like Racing even if an "Ads Only" Sub Category exists, can you? Anyway, just thought I would share that with you ... I know you have enough going on trying to update the site's other features. On a related note, I try to donate to the Eric Fund every now and again. I like the concept of a lean, mean and on-topic running log website. Thanks for the awesome site Eric! Smile
      This just confuses me all the more.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

eric :)

I could be wrong, but I don't think we need a whole forum dedicated to advertisements yet. Besides, I don't know how effective it is to group them into their own forum. I mean, how many people would actually go into it knowing all they will get are ads? Ads are meant to be seen, and if the posters feel that they're not getting the results they expect, they still will post them in the regular forums. This is what I think, and I can be wrong.
        Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Eric - you are our 'fearless leader', you have created the best Running Log on the web - built by a runner for runners .... my vote goes for an 'ad-free' site. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

Jeffrey

Eric, I think we are talking about 2 different things. (Sorry - my subject should have read differently. I didn't want to start a discussion about the pros and cons of ads). My post was in response to the RUN HARD thread; that post felt like a member-to-member "sales pitch" to me. Personally, I'd rather not read a "sales pitch" while I am reading the "Racing" forum. I thought this type of member-to-member interaction could go in its own category to keep Racing on-topic. You're right - the need probably isn't there yet. Ads are another discussion with different expectations. Your site is unique because you don't see banner/sidebar ads anywhere in the interface.
            I could be wrong, but I don't think we need a whole forum dedicated to advertisements yet. Besides, I don't know how effective it is to group them into their own forum. I mean, how many people would actually go into it knowing all they will get are ads? Ads are meant to be seen, and if the posters feel that they're not getting the results they expect, they still will post them in the regular forums. This is what I think, and I can be wrong.