Seated leg press = Shin splints? (Read 664 times)

A couple of months ago I battled the plague of shin splints. I also worked the seated leg press heavily. Haven't done that in a while, but am going to the gym after work (which I gotta get back to!) and would like to do the seated press again. I haven't had shin splints in a while... is it possible that the leg press caused that?

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Doesn't sound likely. Shin splints are usually a biomechanical issue or an overuse injury. I've had them but never a result from weights, only running too fast, too much too soon or incorrect shoes. Why the seated leg press? Can you do squats at your gym?

rkeddie

Add me to the "do squats instead" list, but I can't imagine how you could get shin splints on the leg press. If you do the leg press, make sure you are driving the weight up with your heels, not your toes.
          Shin splints are bruises on the tibia caused by the impact forces of running. You won't get them from a non-impact activity like lifting. It's more likely that improved form or muscle tone is the reason why you don't get them any more. Tom

I try to avoid machines - they lock you into a range of motion that may not be appropriate for your body, and they remove the need to stabilize yourself which is where most of your benefits from lifting come from anyway. Add me to the squats list. Grab a few freeweights, or even just do bodyweight work. Multijoint exercises give you the most bang for your buck. (Oh, and I also have no idea why you'd have shin splints from the seated press, unless it was something else and you just assume it's shin splits.)

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ultramarathon/triathlete

shin splints are also caused or made worse from over developed calves and under developed/under streched shins. On the leg press, you can can actually do some good shin lifts. Place your heels on the press part, toes off the press just barely, then make the motion to move your toes further away from the press (with heals still firmly planted). After re-reading this, my instructions prolly do not do it any justice. Just ask someone at the gym for some shin strengthening/stretching exercies. Ever since I started doing them, I've avoided shin splints.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

If you're worried about your shins, just do toe raises - 30 straight, 30 with toes pointed out, 30 with toes pointed in. Also heel walking without toes touching the ground - similarly in all 3 directions.
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog