Quality of Vibrams (Read 696 times)

Ojo

Is anyone having a problem with the quality of the Vibrams KSO?  I do not wear them but my son wears them on a daily basis.  I am used to them being destroyed in a couple of months but he put on a new pair 3 days ago and 3 (yes 3!!) seams pulled apart.  REI is being kind enough and replacing them but I am about ready to give up on them.  The problem is convincing my son to stop wearing something that he loves.  Any advice?  Is there a better model that holds up to regular use?

Sara

MM #2929

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've got > 1000 miles on my first pair of KSOs and > 500 on my second, with only small holes in a couple of toes.  Either your son got one from a bad manufacturing run, or he's somehow hard on them.  Hope their quality isn't dropping.

Ojo

He can be hard on them but not this time.  Luckily REI is replacing them (and not asking me to return the other pair).  Since he is not actually ripping them, I just wonder about the quality.  The thread on the seams should not split that quickly.

I am trying to convince him to try the Merrills or NB but he loves the toe shoes. 

Sara

MM #2929

reachjer

I think their quality has always been a bit suspect.

I have two pairs of KSOs, purchased over two years ago. I don't run outdoors in them, only for gym stuff (lifting weights and treadmill), some boot-camp type workouts, and around-the-town.

Out of the box, one was misstitched - the strap was stitched to the shoe itself, making it useless. Quickly mailed back to Vibram and replaced.

Right now, one of them has a seam failing right by the big toe (big enough to see skin), and on the other if I tug at the shoe (just like if I'm taking them off) I can see seams easily separating.

There's a repair / mod forum on BirthdayShoes (http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/mods-and-repairs/) that you might want to check out.

It's possible that the heavier materials and fewer seams on the newer models may be more durable, but they also aren't as featherweight as the KSO.

SuperChef

It's possible that the heavier materials and fewer seams on the newer models may be more durable, but they also aren't as featherweight as the KSO.

I can vouch for this.  My Bikilas have held up quite a bit better than the KSOs.