Apple Watch for training - iSmoothRun? (Read 99 times)

MikeBee

I own an Apple Watch, and am looking at apps for the AW.  I'd like more flexibility and the ability to upload my results to Runkeeper, so the basic Workout app is out.

Have others used apps like iSmoothRun or Runmeter?  Neither has a free trial, so I'm looking for other's experiences.  I've tried Runkeeper and Strava and not impressed with either for different reasons.

By the way, I also own a FR305 that I view pace, HR, distance, and time on the screen and that's what I'd like to see on the AW app.  The 305 is several years old and quite bulky, so I'd like to see if an AW app can replace it, without having to buy another garmin.

bhearn

Don't you have to carry the phone for the watch to be any use? Surely that's bulkier than the 305.

MikeBee

I'm not sure, and that's a good question.  Can it estimate without an iphone like the Workout app, or does it require an iPhone like Runkeeper?

BTW, I can run with my iPhone, as I have one of those stretchy belt/fanny-pack type belts, that I can carry my iPhone 6 against the small of my back.  I don't like running with the phone on an arm band.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, it's a little hard to completely understand carrying a huge phone in a big belt with a watch, as a workaround for thinking the garmin 305 is too much to carry...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MikeBee

Having an iphone on a small, unoticeable belt is way different than a big watch on my wrist.  Smile

The point however, was that the 305 was old and may not last much longer, and I did not want to buy both an AW and another garmin.  So I went with the AW hoping that there would be a passable app.

What is your issue with Strava & Runkeeper? It seems these are intended for exactly what you need.

Dave

DukeDB

I have an Apple Watch and I use this great app called the Forerunner 220 for tracking runs.  The current Apple Watch will never work without the phone and so it's not really any more useful than the phone alone.  Hardware limited.  Hope they put a GPS onboard the next one...

bhearn

Even the gps on the phone is not nearly as good as that on a Garmin, is it?

bhearn

Maybe try a refurb or used 310 or 910 if the 305 is too bulky. 920 is even thinner, but only a year old, probably can't get as good a deal.

MikeBee

Sure that's an option, but wanted to try and get experiences on the existing AW apps.

As for no GPS on board, while it isn't 100% accurate, the Workout app is pretty close once it calibrates with the iPhone.  Thereafter, it is not required.

So that's what I was looking for in another app, which RK and Strava do not have since they require the iphone at all times.